• March 28, 2024, 04:34:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: My modem internet disconnects at random times from my router. (INFO INSIDE)  (Read 16087 times)

kas130771

• Level 1 Member

Hi there,
I've been having a problem with my D-link router (obviously the DIR-615 :D) and my Scientific Atlanta modem (model 2203), and i am currently subscribed with Time Warner Cable.

Basically what seems to happen, is when the internet is in use (through wifi through the router) and even sometimes when the internet is NOT being used, the internet will disconnect from my router.

Sometimes I will be able to load a page and it will not load, then i try again two seconds later and it'll wake back up -- but more often i am required to reboot the router, or sometimes i will just unplug my router AND modem, and after they boot up, my laptop (that i always use) will connect fine (until the internet disconnects from the router again).

i am able to still be connected to the router, but i wont be able to access the internet.

I thought i fixed this before, by restricting my router's speeds to 10mb/s, (originally it was set at AUTO10/100mb/s, so i made it so it only accepts 10mb/s of data), but a week after having this method done, it went back to the internet disconnecting randomly from my router.

(i did this under Advanced -> Advanced Network Settings -> Wan Port Speed)

believe me, i am pretty good at this stuff (under most cases :D) but this is one thing i just cannot figure out.

seeing from past threads, i am happy to get teamviewer and show you all my router's webpage if needed (192.168.0.1)

thanks a lot for reading!
-kas
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:24:09 PM by kas130771 »

Hard Harry

First thing you want to do is rule out the modem. I would tell you how, but it looks like RoadRunner (they do internet for TWC right?) seemed to have blocked it with a firmware update. So instead, I both call them and have them look at the signal levels and try this simple test. The test is when you loose your internet, go try your phone. Both test for a dial tone and call someone. See if you get static or garbled voice. As you do this, also look at the modem. Actually look at it before, when it is working, as a comparison, and see if it looks different when you have internet issue. If so, then the problem is likely small disruptions of the internet connection which cause the router to lose sync. Very common. Try that first and and lets go from there.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Some other things to try too:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can copy and paste these from under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

kas130771

• Level 1 Member

okay thank you both for the replies

harry, it hasnt disconnected once since i have followed furry's instructions, but i will reply asap when it does (if it does :]) after ive followed your instructions. 

Furry thanks for all the info, i was able to get all those done, and hopefully there wont be anymore disconnections

ill still stay on this topic, and ill try to post at the end of the day if there isnt a disconnect.

thanks
~kas

kas130771

• Level 1 Member

okay so it just disconnected, but when i wasnt getting internet from my router i tried to call my cell phone, had someone else in my house have a conversation, asked them if my voice was crackling, it wasnt, and their voice wasnt crackly either.

what i did notice, was that on the modem (below)

that the "link" and "TEL 1" lights were blinking
after a while TEL 1 stopped blinking, showing a solid green light, but the LINK light was still blinking.

after that i restarted the router and here I am again
 you think it has to do with the cable company?

or are my modem and router not compatible?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Any chance you can look at the modems status or logs by chance? Not all modems can do this however some can. If the modem is dropping a connection then it's possible that the 615 will reflect this and thus make the owner thinks it's a router issue and distract them away from the probably culprit being that of the ISP modem.
Do you have phone svc thru this ISP modem?

I would make sure the ISP has good cabling up from the pole or box to the house or building. From there you can make sure the cabling inside the building is good. If this is cable, it's recommended to run as few cable TV line splitters as this will degrade the signal going to the ISP modem. Having one should impact greatly unless it's a bad one.

If on DSL, make sure the phone lines are in good working order and the wall jacks and junction boxes are made well and set up right. Having crossed wires could impact signal. Make sure the lines are filtered correctly for DSL.

One test you can do is to connect the PC directly to the ISP Modem and observe the same behavior.

Keep us posted.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

kas130771

• Level 1 Member

im still following the topic, but i had reset the router/modem once yesterday, and so far today it has been fine (no noticeable disconnects)

i will call the phone company if the issue starts again tommaro (its 9PM today)

also if the internet does disconnect while I am using it, i will try to see if the modem works directly with my pc (as you said, furry :])