• April 26, 2024, 12:58:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: multicasting ... not?  (Read 6228 times)

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
multicasting ... not?
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »

I have multicast enabled. I can see vlc understands it. When I set vlc to open the network stream rtp://239.1.1.2:6554, or rtp://239.1.1.2:6554/live2.sdp, I see nothing.

What am I misunderstanding?

What do I need / to do to see the multicast on my win 7 laptop?

How can I prove that multicast traffic is actually going out from the cam?

(The cam is on wifi, the laptop on ethernet, all within the house / same lan.)

Thanks for any insights.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: multicasting ... not?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »

I have multicast enabled. I can see vlc understands it. When I set vlc to open the network stream rtp://239.1.1.2:6554, or rtp://239.1.1.2:6554/live2.sdp, I see nothing.

What am I misunderstanding?

What do I need / to do to see the multicast on my win 7 laptop?

How can I prove that multicast traffic is actually going out from the cam?

(The cam is on wifi, the laptop on ethernet, all within the house / same lan.)

Thanks for any insights.

Nothing happens here either.
Just the traffic cone.

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »

All of a sudden, for reasons absolutely unknown, my PeerBlock on XP started going nuts ... the multicasts started coming through. I've no idea why, the camera wasn't rebooted, and no configuration change I can think of made. I did access the cam via mydlink around that time, but I can't put together / proove cause and effect.

i.e. For the first time, I could proove the cam was actually putting the multicast out.

I allowed PeerBlock to let the multicasts through, and fired up VLC / Open Network Stream, but no joy.

No combination of
Code: [Select]
rt[ s]p://[{userid}:{pass}][@]{ipaddress}:port[/live#.sdp] address produced any video.

It should be obvious that I have absolutely no idea what the URL should be. My best guess is:

rtp://@239.1.1.2:6554

Confirmation of the URL from someone who's had success would be appreciated.

I then went back to my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop - it still does not see the multicast traffic in PeerBlock as it did on XP. Even after turning the firewall off. Something must be blocking it.

[Which means my prior tests had absolutely no chance of success, and I've been chasing my tail! {Hate it when that happens!}]

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »

Update: Nothing to do with Windows version, everything to do with browser.

- from what I have read, multicast capable {things} don't actually do so until something requests it. So, just because you have enabled it, it's not 24x7 broadcasting traffic. Modern day routers, switches, and equipment, run IGMP Snooping, so when something makes a request, only those paths to the request actually get bombarded with the traffic. The request is made, the switches it traverses takes note of the request and opens the pathway, ultimately getting to the device - the device then sends out the broadcast (multicast, actually, a type of broadcast), and the switch is smart enough to only send it on to the requesting port(s). Non-requesting ports don't get bombarded.

- ONLY the Internet Explorer interface is 'smart' enough to make request and make use of the multicasts. Other browsers use Quicktime and/or don't have the smarts (from the html received by the browser from the cam) to trigger the stream. (View source in IE and you can see the rtsp: code requests.)

- No url I tried in vlc / open network stream was successful, therefore the cam never got the multicast request to send it out. Thus my wireshark never saw the multicast traffic / I couldn't prove the cam was putting out multicast.

I HAPPENED to hit upon the right browser / live view combination (I like -never- use IE!), to notice my peer block (which hadn't yet been told to accept multicast traffic) going nuts ... leading me to these discoveries / conclusions.

So ... what can I use on a windows os to trigger the cam to send out a multicast stream, OR, what vlc url actually works?

Ultimately, where I really want to go, is to have an android app do this, not pc's (pc's tend to be wired, and I don't expect so many viewers as to overwhelm the network). I have yet to find an android app though, that will do this. (My ignorance, no doubt, not knowing the right technologies / search terms to look for. Searching UPnP is probably a red herring, and besides, I drown in search results.) Android app recommendations requested!

Thanks for listening.