• April 19, 2024, 12:59:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WAN Errors  (Read 5432 times)

drshock

• Level 2 Member
WAN Errors
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:33:07 AM »

I purchased a DGL-4100 new last August and it has been doing well since until recently.   

I am experiencing random freezes and disconnects while playing World of Warcraft and I have noticed under statistics that for the first time the router is accumulating WAN errors.  There are no LAN errors.

I used to have millions of rec/tx with no such errors now I have about 10 for every 100000.  The router is still under the one year warranty, is this likely an indicator of some failing HW?

It has the 1.7 firmware since new which is the only version available.
Live for today....

drshock

• Level 2 Member
Re: WAN Errors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »

Just an update on this.  Learned alot from some very helpful people who engineer networking gear for a living.  For those reading this in the future, you should never ever have anything but ZERO errors on your WAN packet statistics with any router.  It will be a hardware issue assuming the unit previously did not exhibit the errors.   A problem either with the cable (either defective or noise), the modem, or the router itself.  A WAN not to be confused with wireless LAN (WLAN) which does have packet errors as a normal occurance with todays technology.

So I tried three different Cat6 (in case it was noise) patch cables between the modem and router WAN ports without change.   I took the router to someone elses house and dropped it in their network and the problem persisted which eliminated my cable modem.   That left the problem squarely with the DGL-4100.

Since the unit is still under warranty pursuing an RMA now. 

Live for today....