• March 28, 2024, 03:04:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: SharePort USB utility experience  (Read 118107 times)

Neblinio

• Level 2 Member
Re: SharePort USB utility experience
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:56 AM »

Nice, ordered one right away :-)

Only minor possible 'con' is that the whole hub will be reserved by the single user and still does not allow for seperate use of each device. So we'll put in a request for multiple users (if the access model of SharePort allows that anyway). I assume that Lycan is already taking notes here  ;)
I don't have a real USB hub, but I tested with a hard drive enclosure which gives a pair of extra USB ports. I could connect to the hard drive as well as other devices on the extra USB ports. I could even connect one user to the hard drive and other user to any of the devices on the extra ports.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »

I don't have a real USB hub, but I tested with a hard drive enclosure which gives a pair of extra USB ports. I could connect to the hard drive as well as other devices on the extra USB ports. I could even connect one user to the hard drive and other user to any of the devices on the extra ports.

I guss a USB hub will do the trick too. Same principle. The last thing is good to hear; this will enable my laserprinter, inkjet printer and an USB drive for back-ups, possibly a webcam, and three other device to connect (it's a 7 port hub  ;D , I still need to find three usefull devices to fill it up...). Thanks for the feedback.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

hispanico

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »

I have wista 32 bit...install and connect without problem. I share my usb WD passport of 320gb but if i try to connect from another computer system not permitted because user not have permission ??

Where is problem ?
Thank

....Resolved a go to tab od WD and put in protection panel user everyone and all now is okay
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:37:07 PM by hispanico »

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »

I guss a USB hub will do the trick too. Same principle. The last thing is good to hear; this will enable my laserprinter, inkjet printer and an USB drive for back-ups, possibly a webcam, and three other device to connect (it's a 7 port hub  ;D , I still need to find three usefull devices to fill it up...). Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a link to a post I made on DSLR with some pictures, one of them showing 4 devices available and 3 computers using various devices.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21168378-

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »

Besides the WD config, you can only access a device from 1 PC. If another PC needs access it needs to be released by that user. They solved that in a good manner at Dlink...but if the requested user is absent from hisd/her machine you've got a problem: it needs to be confirmed.

benjiana

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

I used an WD 400GB HDD in a Galaxy Metal Gear-USB 2.0/Firewire enclosure.
The Shareport Utility gave me a code 10-Failed to start device message on the USB Mass storage device driver. Before connecting the external drive I did tested it against my desktop using the USB 2.0 ports.
I did successfully connectedand accessed a PNY 128MB flash drive remotely.
Any other details needed? Running 1.21B05 release on the DIR-655.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

Has anyone had any problems with SharePort working and then suddenly not?  It was working just great .. and now the SharePort utility shows nothing.  I've reflashed 1.21b5, uninstalled and reinstalled SPUtil, rebooted, powered everything off then back on, changed the usb config to WZC then back to network, tried a known good PNY USB memory stick, disabled my firewall...

The USB light is lit on the router, but it never blinks.  When I right-click on the SPUtil tray icon, it no longer displays my router and the connect/disconnect options it used to.

My impression is a setting or something is stuck on the router.  I've reset the configuration and set everything up from scratch and it still isn't working.  I'll keep at it but I don't know why at this point the USB is not working.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 03:36:16 AM »

Has anyone had any problems with SharePort working and then suddenly not?  It was working just great .. and now the SharePort utility shows nothing.  I've reflashed 1.21b5, uninstalled and reinstalled SPUtil, rebooted, powered everything off then back on, changed the usb config to WZC then back to network, tried a known good PNY USB memory stick, disabled my firewall...

The USB light is lit on the router, but it never blinks.  When I right-click on the SPUtil tray icon, it no longer displays my router and the connect/disconnect options it used to.

My impression is a setting or something is stuck on the router.  I've reset the configuration and set everything up from scratch and it still isn't working.  I'll keep at it but I don't know why at this point the USB is not working.

You might wanna give some extra info. OS, NIC's. Did you powercycle the router, not only restting it?
You could try removing the utilty completely . So remove all references to drivers in the registry, reboot and all files (manually). Caution: only try this when you really know how to edit the registry

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 w/ Vista Business x64 - Intel 4965AGN Wireless.   Yes I pulled the power plug from the back of the router.  It still isn't working today.  When I feel like it I'll try it out wired and on another laptop (ThinkPad R50 w/ XP Pro - Intel 2200BG Wireless).

T61 + Wired = no good
R50 + Wireless/Wired = good

Vista and/or 64-bit problem?

Found the culprit:

I had installed VMWare Server 2.0 yesterday.  That effectively broke SharePort.  After uninstalling VMWare, SharePort works properly.  Reinstall VMWare Server, SharePort breaks again.  In prior experience with VMWare and other network-aware applications, I've seen this happen and it is usually due to some nonstandard protocol that doesn't bide well when Virtual NIC hardware is installed.  It would probably be advantageous for D-Link to understand this issue; it would most likely enhance SharePort's network resiliency when multiple protocols (not just TCP/IP) are running on one wire(less).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:55:23 PM by ttmcmurry »

hispanico

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 04:07:17 AM »

I think also that the next release of shareport usb utility must recognized automatically usb attach to the pc when windows start and not connect manually after....

Thank

hispanico

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »

Sometime when i copy or move file of big dimension (like avi) the window of copy/move remain also the copy or move is finished. Infact if i select abort the file copied remain on my HD usb....

Thank

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 11:11:10 AM »

I havn't experienced what you experienced with the file copy/move.

I posted this on the other thread, but I think at least with the printer, that if there is a queue built up from other computers while one computer is still printing, that the utility should automatically release the printer so that the other computers can automatically start their print job.

krebsy1

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

Anyone try scanning on a MultiFunction Printer?  I can scan, but it only gives me a BMP or JPG option to save a file.  I was used to being able to save to PDF with my dlink DPR-1260.

MitchSchaft

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

You always lose function over the network with a MFP. I'm surprised we can even scan these days.

prpctech

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 01:02:21 AM »

I got a USB hub hooked to the port, and got two HDDs connected. I noticed the request windows also, but when I was attempting to use Logitech webcam 5000 model it would not work. I will play with this thing some more and convince that PC that the webcam is not a scanner. Anyone attempted a flatbed scanner on this port?  ;D ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7