• April 18, 2024, 07:59:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: (FAQ Req.): SD Cards hot swappable?  (Read 3333 times)

bs27975

• Level 2 Member
(FAQ Req.): SD Cards hot swappable?
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »

Perhaps a good question for the FAQ?

Can SD cards be hot swapped on the DCS-2132L? What are the ramifications?

I am considering hanging a DCS-2132L in a room for incident monitoring. e.g. Someone throws a chair, have it on 'tape'. It would be standalone, someone plugs it in to power, hangs it up, and walks away. [Anything beyond that, storage elsewhere, wif-fi / wired network access, live streaming, would be an extra. i.e. The only requirement is it store to SD Card in a turnkey solution, anything else is gravy. Not asking about the gravy here, that's covered in other places than here.]

Upon an incident, it seems useful to swap out the sd card. The recorded card can be taken away to do whatever must be done with the footage, while the new card continues on with the camera's day.

What, if any, are the ramifications of hot swapping the SD card? e.g. ...

- corrupted card?
- none if camera powered down first? (Time / aggravation at re-power up?)
- last few images lost (presumably of hands coming towards the camera to swap the sd card), which would be no biggie. However, if the video file doesn't have a chance to close properly, and the entire video file is lost - that would be bad.

(Actually ... isn't this all the same issue as what happens to live recording when power is lost?)

TIA.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:04:55 AM by bs27975 »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: (FAQ Req.): SD Cards hot swappable?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

I think at most you'll corrupt the most recent file, previous files will be available.

You can always access the camera (see my other post), and download the SD recordings, although it is kind of slow.

Most of my issues have been getting the cards initialize....always formatting with the camera is the best place to start.

I use FTP option mostly, and unplugging it and powering up is fine.

I might run a pull the card out test on the dcs 2230 tonight.
I'll report back.

Perhaps a good question for the FAQ?

Can SD cards be hot swapped on the DCS-2132L? What are the ramifications?

I am considering hanging a DCS-2132L in a room for incident monitoring. e.g. Someone throws a chair, have it on 'tape'. It would be standalone, someone plugs it in to power, hangs it up, and walks away. [Anything beyond that, storage elsewhere, wif-fi / wired network access, live streaming, would be an extra. i.e. The only requirement is it store to SD Card in a turnkey solution, anything else is gravy. Not asking about the gravy here, that's covered in other places than here.]

Upon an incident, it seems useful to swap out the sd card. The recorded card can be taken away to do whatever must be done with the footage, while the new card continues on with the camera's day.

What, if any, are the ramifications of hot swapping the SD card? e.g. ...

- corrupted card?
- none if camera powered down first? (Time / aggravation at re-power up?)
- last few images lost (presumably of hands coming towards the camera to swap the sd card), which would be no biggie. However, if the video file doesn't have a chance to close properly, and the entire video file is lost - that would be bad.

(Actually ... isn't this all the same issue as what happens to live recording when power is lost?)

TIA.