• April 18, 2024, 02:50:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Add WAP or Wireless Router to Existing Wired Network  (Read 5704 times)

theweight

• Level 1 Member
Add WAP or Wireless Router to Existing Wired Network
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »

Hello,

Just looking for advice.   A few months back I replaced my old Netgear RT-314 with the D-Link DGL-4100.   I have not had 1 problem with the D-Link and like it a lot.

My son and wife have laptops with wireless built in and I'd like to add a WAP instead of having them be near a Cat5 cable or have a cable strewn across the floor.

I've read that it may be cheaper to get a wireless router and using a cross-over cable connect to the wired router.   That should give me wireless and a couple more wired ports.

Any recommendations from the folks here who may have done something similar?   To keep it simple, I'd probably want to stay with a D-Link.     Should I be looking at a WAP or would a Wireless Router work just as well?   Any advice on what particular WAP or Router has worked well with 4100?

My son would be using his laptop mostly in the basement.   My wife, one floor above. 

Thanks in advance for any adice.