• April 27, 2024, 09:18:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: got my dlink 655 A4 today  (Read 6891 times)

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
got my dlink 655 A4 today
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »

Hey everyone, i had the Dlink 634M for like almost 3 years and it started acting up lately, droping connections and what not, anyway i bought a Dlink 655 today, it fixed all my problems, its a really nice router so far, im using the ps3 and 360 wirelessly and i have my iMac wired., everything is working beautifully, i have not specifically configured QOS, basically the only thing i want to configure is to give XBOX LIVE and the Playstation network top priorities for the internet when they are running, how do i dial that into the QOS settings guys?

These are my wireless settings, please tell me if i have something not setup correctly:

Enable wireless: Always

Wireless name: Router

802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n , 802.11g, 802.11b

Enable Auto Channel Scan :  DISABLED

Wireless Channel :  6

Transmission Rate : Best (automatic)

Channel Width : 20hz/40hz(auto)

Visibility Status :  Invisible  (This doesnt slow the connection in any way right?

Wireless security mode: WEP

Authentication: Both  (is this the right setting or it should be set to "SHARED KEY" ?

i dont want to use WPA because it slows down the wireless connection too much, i doubt there are any hackers in my building or anywhere close anyway lol.

Is there something i should enable/disable outside of the wireless network setting page?

Thanks alot guys.

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
Re: got my dlink 655 A4 today
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:58:43 AM »

someone please?

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »

So a couple things, if anything is going to slow your network down it's allowing 802.11b. Both the PS3 and Xbox should at least support G, so I would change your 802.11 mode to 802.11n/g only. Also WEP actually causes a large slowdown in wireless throughput. (50% lower then WPA2 per the testing done on www.smallnetbuilder.com) You really need to be using WPA2 (again I am sure both support it as my Wii does).

As for your QOS question, the way I so mine is simple, I assign a static IP to the device I want to assign QOS to, then build a qos rule for that ip, (local ip range is that ip to that ip ie 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.10 assuming that is the ip you assigned to your PS3), protocol is any, port range is 0 to 65535. Destination ip range is 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 and set your priority to 2 or 3. This is a very basic rule that would give all outbound traffic from this device priority. If you knew more exactly what protocols and ports the PS3 and Xbox use you could adjust if needed.

Enjoy!

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »

Thanks for the reply tony, so i changed the wireless mode to only N and G, should i change it to G only or it doesnt affect my speed if both N and G are selected even tho i dont have any N components? both my xbox 360 and ps3 use the G, my iphone is probably G too.. and my iMac is wired so..

Anyway, i was told to disable the 40mhz channel bonding feature and to just select 20mhz as if i select 40mhz it decreases my Range, what do u have it set on? 20mhz or 40mhz/auto?

By default "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" is enabled, should i disable that?

I disabled "SECURESPOT" services.

Do i need to have "SPI" enabled under the firewall settings? it is enabled by default..

i have UPNP enabled as its good as cuz my bittorent applications can open a port automatically so its great at that.

Under the wireless settings, its good that i have transmission rate set to auto right?  and its good that i disabled auto channel select? i selected channel 6 manually.

and in other words, u say that if i change to "WPA2 - AES", i should have better wireless performance than with "WEP - BOTH" ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:23:12 PM by lamonsas »

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

can u please answer?

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply tony, so i changed the wireless mode to only N and G, should i change it to G only or it doesnt affect my speed if both N and G are selected even tho i dont have any N components? both my xbox 360 and ps3 use the G, my iphone is probably G too.. and my iMac is wired so..

Anyway, i was told to disable the 40mhz channel bonding feature and to just select 20mhz as if i select 40mhz it decreases my Range, what do u have it set on? 20mhz or 40mhz/auto?

By default "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" is enabled, should i disable that?

I disabled "SECURESPOT" services.

Do i need to have "SPI" enabled under the firewall settings? it is enabled by default..

i have UPNP enabled as its good as cuz my bittorent applications can open a port automatically so its great at that.

Under the wireless settings, its good that i have transmission rate set to auto right?  and its good that i disabled auto channel select? i selected channel 6 manually.

and in other words, u say that if i change to "WPA2 - AES", i should have better wireless performance than with "WEP - BOTH" ?

Hi lamonsas,

Wireless Settings:
Enable Wireless - Always and have it checked
802.11 Mode: Mixed for both N and G modes
Enable Auto Channel Scan - Uncheck it.
Wireless Channel: Use 8 or 10 - Whichever gives the best reception.
Transmission Rate: MC 11-52 [108] (Since you have a mixed of N and G.)
Channel Width: Set to Auto 20/40 Mhz
Visibility Status: Invisible (Though some Wireless Phones require a Visible SSID Signal.)
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
WPA Mode: WPA2 Only
Cipher Type: AES

Use the DHCP Reservations List for all Devices and Computers, in Network Settings.

QoS Engine: On with no rules.
Firewall Settings: Off
Securespot: Not Checked.
Under Advanced Network Enable UPnP, Yes.

Higher Wireless Speed is better with WPA2 Only then with WEP.

In Advanced in Network Filter:
The MAC (Media Access Controller) Address filter option is used to control network access based on the MAC Address of the network adapter. A MAC address is a unique ID assigned by the manufacturer of the network adapter. This feature can be configured to ALLOW or DENY network/Internet access.

Turn on Mac Filter and allow Computers and Devices listed to access the Internet.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, with the 2.4ghz band there are only 3 non overlapping channels, 1, 6 and 11. These are the only ones that should ever be used. I am a certified CWNA and CWSP, (check out www.cwnp.com) trust me I know. N and G only is fine, don't do channel bonding, 20mhz only is fine, wifi protected setup is fine to leave enabled, it's just there to make the security configs easier. Leave SPI enabled, it makes the router more secure, as it watches all "conversations" going in an out of the router looking for oddities. You want the firewall on, it gives you alot of protection for your network and based on the testing I have seen, causes no noticeable performance issues (check out www.smallnetbuilder.com and their review of the 655)
As for the visibility of your wireless network, there is no security benefit to having it invisible, trust me most free wireless scanning apps will see your ssid anyway. Same goes for MAC filtering, it'a alot of work for almost no value. As for DHCP, no reason not to use it, I just limit my IP pool range to the total amount of devices I have plus 5. Your other settings are fine, and yes please goto WPA2-AES, unless the xbox or PS3 can't support it, which I doubt. You will get more thoughtput and be more secure.

The settings I am giving you are the same security settings you'll see at 95% of enterprises on their wireless networks, difference being they use WPA2 with a radius backend.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:57:17 PM by NCTony »

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »

Hey mate, thanks alot for the info, i have a few questions, i changed my security mode to WPA 2 only and AES, my speed did not seem to be affected vs the WEP i was using before this so thats great.

Im using wireless channel 6, should i try channel 1 and 11 or just stay at 6?

see yesterday i changed the channel width to 20mhz and my brother who plays xbox live every day said he noticed some lag, i put it back to 40mhz/AUTO and he said its better now, is it ok if i live it at that?

regarding Transmission Rate, it would give me faster speeds to choose MC 11-52 [108] like the guy above said or just keep it at AUTO?

also under ADVANCED networking there is a CHECKED setting by default "EXTRA WIRELESS PROTECTION", and also SHORT GI which is also checked.  i dont really want so much SECURITY if its going to affect my performance really, i mean i already have the firewall(SPI) on and wifi protected setup on, do i need that EXTREA WIRELESS PRotection on or OFF? what do u have it set to Tony?

Thanks mate

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »

So for the channels, the best way to know would be to use a tool like netstumbler (istumbler for the Mac) to look at what's around you. You want to use the least used channel. So if you see other AP's on 6 and 11 but none on 1, then goto 1, etc.

I don't see how the channel width would make a difference as I am sure the Xbox360 isn't pushing that much traffic to need the additional speed. Also does you xbox adapter support 802.11N? If not then I doubt it would know the difference between normal and wide channels.

So hard setting the transmission rate can cause issues as you are basically telling the adapter to only talk to devices that can transmit at that speed. As there are many things that can effect wireless performance an any time, it's safer to leave it at the default. The only time I have seen this used to to make very small "cells" for wifi phones.

So extra wireless protection has to do with if the AP will "dumb down" to the lowest connected adapter. Unless you are in an all 802.11N environment this won't do anything for you, it's off for me as my router supports both 802.11G and N clients, and I have short GI on but it's something you can test. Try turing it off to see if it helps/hurts or does nothing.

lamonsas

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »

Thanks for the info tony, btw i wanted to ask, what should i be using Dynamic IP or static IP? by default the router setup Dynamic IP.

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »

This depends on your ISP, but since you internet is working the setting is correct.