• April 23, 2024, 09:45:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Getting better signal strength?  (Read 4320 times)

BigJohnny

• Level 2 Member
Getting better signal strength?
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »

I searched around and couldn't find anything relevant to my question, so if I missed something that's been I apologize, point me in the right direction and I'll check it out.

Anyway, I've got most of the issues sorted out and I'm noticing now that when my Wii is connected it's signal strength hasn't gotten above 42%. I would like to get a better signal but I'm not sure what I should do to get it.

Right now wireless is setup to use WPA or WPA 2, TKIP or AES, and auto channel scan, auto 20/40. it usually uses channel 6, and set to invisible.

There are a couple of other wireless networks in my building (about 5 that can be seen) and where my router is located is fairly open. the Wii is 2 bedrooms away, meaning it has 2 "cement like" plaster walls in the way. the walls were built in 1960 so whatever they used back then to make walls is what this is made from.

ATM there is also a Christmas tree in the way

Anything I can do to get a stronger signal to the Wii? I believe it only connects in G mode, I don't think they are N capable.

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
Re: Getting better signal strength?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »

Taking my Xmas tree down added ~ 20%, although I'm on the 2nd floor & the mostly metal tree was on the 1st! I didn't notice any improvement when I ran a speed test.

Are you seeing any thru-put issues with the Wii? It's not the fastest console out there so it probably doesn't have a voracious appetite for data. Yes, the Wii maxes out with Wireless G.

Are you using Wireless N devices on your network in addition to the Wii? If so, you may want to check out this article: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30664/228/

BigJohnny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:55:22 AM »

no N devices yet, but I notice a lot of TX packets dropped.

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »

You're going to get dropped packets regardless..just the nature of wireless, especially when you have path loss. Unless you are experiencing obvious data throughput issues, I wouldn't worry about it. The other options available (besides better locating the router and/or device) involve $$ but will probably yield no noticable improvement.
Other options:
 - Wireless extender between the router & Wii
 - External gaming adapter/bridge + Wii Ethernet adapter. You could position the gaming adapter to get a better signal.
 - powerline network adapters

Some earlier revs of the DIR-615 have removable antennas (rev C1 does not). If you have a removable type, you could try buying a pair of higher gain antennas off eBay.

Oh, since you are G only, recommend that you set your router likewise & disable all the auto channel features. I use WPA2/AES w/o any issues in G only mode.

BigJohnny

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:46 AM »

doing a speedtest on speedtest.net results in about 2.75mbps to the Wii..... I don't know if this is normal or what.

good speed or no?