• March 29, 2024, 07:43:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router Automatic logging out  (Read 11638 times)

KevinA

• Level 1 Member
Router Automatic logging out
« on: December 08, 2018, 08:24:19 PM »

Where do I set the amount of time before the router forces me to log back in? As I read the help manual and try to setup the router, the router keeps logging me out. I was learning about scheduling and how to enter whole days but when you leave the screen alone the router logs you out and you lose everything.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Router Automatic logging out
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »

D-Link routers do not have a setting to set the time out to log a user off. I believe the time defaults to 3 minutes of inactivity then logs you out. I asked about this a long time ago and D-Links stance on this is due to security concerns.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

KevinA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »

D-Link routers do not have a setting to set the time out to log a user off. I believe the time defaults to 3 minutes of inactivity then logs you out. I asked about this a long time ago and D-Links stance on this is due to security concerns.
Does Dlink own my router? Am I just leasing it? I'm at home, 5 miles from the nearest neighbor with only me here so security wise, logging into my router over the Ethernet cable is not a security issue.
This is another of the 32 character with upper/lower case, numbers and alpha, and special character password security-nazi things, I can only hope they grow out of before I lose my patience.   

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:32:49 AM »

It is protection from the WAN side too. If remote administration is enabled (or hacks are being used) someone can log into you router. But I agree it is annoying when it times out. The new gen routers do not have a setting for that like some of our old routers and business routers. Most users are not in their router that often. Most don't even access it after they first configure it.

KevinA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »

It is protection from the WAN side too. If remote administration is enabled (or hacks are being used) someone can log into you router. But I agree it is annoying when it times out. The new gen routers do not have a setting for that like some of our old routers and business routers. Most users are not in their router that often. Most don't even access it after they first configure it.

After another 3 hour session with this router I've had it, the 'annoying' auto log outs while being distracted by phone calls or customers while I try to trouble shoot connection issues has me looking elsewhere. I've been a Dlink customer since the 90ites but enough is enough, routers with firmware version of 1 are off my list of things to buy and ANYTHING that forces logouts 'to protect me' is defiantly off my list.