• April 19, 2024, 10:17:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Fast internet but slow LAN  (Read 6610 times)

jaivh

• Level 1 Member
Fast internet but slow LAN
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »

Greetings All,

I have been trying to get a good router up and running.  I had a Belkin which died after 3 months, I had a Linksys which operated on a frequency not compatible with my house and now I have a DIR-628.

I have my N capable laptop connected wirelessly and have a connection speed of 130Mps (from doing research online I have learned this is within the normal range).  When I transfer files from my laptop to my PC the transfer rate is only 15Mps!  This means that large files take a long time to transfer.

The Belkin that I had allowed me to transfer a 30gb file in less than 10min and yesterday I moved a 6.2gb file and it took over an hour!

My PC has a Gigabite card and I am using all Cat6 cables.

Why would this be?  What can I do to fix it?

Thanks
Jai
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:31:46 AM by jaivh »

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Fast internet but slow LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »

The DIR routers have been known to cause the slow downs when you are using the Internet access through it.  One work-around was to permanently set the WAN port to an access speed (10 or 100) instead of AUTO.

As for the 130Mb/s wireless access speed, your laptop has an Intel wireless adapter and your are using the 2.4Ghz radio.

jaivh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Thank you for the response but my internet speed is fine, it is my LAN or intranet speed that I am unhappy with.

Perhaps this router is not Gigabite compatible? 

chefnee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »

There must be a misunderstanding.  When I first bought my DIR-628(at a liquidator), I thought WOW! what a steal.  Without doing any research, I had some buyer's remorse, but I toughed it out.  I found out that the LAN speed is only 10/100 Mbps, which translates to only 12.5 MBps theoretically.  In my experience, I've been able to get about 80% percent or 10 MBps constantly.  If you wanted Gigabit speed then this is what needs to happen:

laptop needs wifi N:         37.5MBps theoretical maximum throughput
gigabit router wifi N:       125.0MBps theoretical maximum throughput
desktop needs gigabit N: 125.0MBps theoretical maximum throughput

From what I've learned in fundamentals, all components needs to have a lowest common denominator.  So in this example, you've would only achieve 37.5MBps theoretically maximum throughput.  But with your setup it doesn't matter if you've got all Cat6 cable (believe me, I've tried what you're doing.I also have all Cat6 cables.) you'll get only the lowest common denominator between them.  Here it is:

your laptop:             wifi N:     37.5 MBps theoretical maximum throughput
DIR-628(non gigabit router):     12.5 MBps theoretical maximum throughput
your desktop                   :    125.0 MBps theoretical maximum throughput

So in your situation it will only achieve 12.5 MBps theoretical maximum throughput

I'm sorry if this seems to be the long answer.  But to give you the short answer, yes you are correct the DIR-628 isn't a gigabit router.  To solve your problem, I suggest getting the DLink DIR-655.  It is advertised as a gigabit router.  You should get must faster transfer speeds.

I hope this helps:)

By the way, if I am wrong in any way please someone correct me.  Thanks!