• April 24, 2024, 06:28:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hibertane & UPnP AV media streaming  (Read 4120 times)

tda-danny

• Level 1 Member
Hibertane & UPnP AV media streaming
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »

I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing an issue where if the unit has just been turned on, it will stream media perfectly to my PS3, however, if the drives are left alone with no activity (over night for example), a movie streamed to the PS3 will freeze right before it loads up.

I believe I have narrowed this problem down to the HDD hibernate feature.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, I tried to stream a movie and the PS3 froze (while it worked the night before). I then thought maybe the HDD's were not waking up properly, so I moved a file onto the unit using my PC connection and tried to stream a movie again (in an attempt to 'wake' them), and again the PS3 froze.

I then restarted the unit (power off and then on again) and it would stream a movie without any problem. Something made me think about the HDD hibernate feature, so I went into the system and disabled it. I tried to stream a movie this morning, and it worked perfectly.

Maybe this is a bug with the UPnP?

Are there any negatives to this workaround? The unit was a little warm this morning, but not hot. I've had 24/7 computers in the past, and have never had a HDD fail on me. Please let me know if any knows any other solutions to keep this thing working.

Info on my system:
Dlink 323, 2x 1.5TB Seagate drives,
FW 1.06 (same problem occurred with 1.07)
UPnP Enabled
iTunes Disabled
FTP server Disabled
BitTorrent Installed

PS3, newest firmware

PC Q9450 @ 3.33ghz
Vista x64
8gigs ram

Aracknid

• Level 1 Member
Re: Hibertane & UPnP AV media streaming
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »

I've started having problems playing videos after I updated the firmware on the PS3 to firmware version 3.0. Maybe this is your problem?

Aracknid

tda-danny

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »

Apparently the hibernating drives are not the problem, as last night I tried streaming files to my PS3, and it again froze just like before. These are the same files that have been streamed in the past off of the 323, and worked.

Trying to find work around for this device is frustrating. I have taken the HDD's out of the unit and installed them in my PC. I will be returning this device on Monday. Anyone planning on using this device as a media extended, I recommend searching for different alternatives.

@ Aracknid
I can stream the files perfectly off my desktop computer with WMP 11, so I doubt that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion however.

TheJackyl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:05:20 AM »

I've recently started having the same problem.  At first the problem was kind of intermittent, now it has become more of a constant.  I've had to resort to using the PS3 Media Server from Google Code.

I had this problem also before the PS3 3.0 firmware update.  After the update the problem seemed to go away for awhile and then it reemerged with a vengeance.

I'm certainly not too happy with having to resort using PS3 Media Server.  Forces to keep my computer on. It takes longer to load up all the videos on my drive since it has to now communicate between the DNS-323, my computer, and then the PS3.  Shuttling through video files is also a lot less clean for the same reasons.  And I only purchased both the hard drive and DNS-323 this past July.

In effort to also narrow down what might be amiss, let me just add that my router is DIR-655.  I have one of the first released fat PS3s (with backwards compatibility) and have my PS3 physically wired to my router.  My DNS-323 is equipped with a single HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s.

tda-danny

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »

I have the same PS3 as you (release model with backwards compatibility), and the same router 655.

The problem is inconsistent, thus I could not find a solution.

The HDD's are now reformatted and inside my PC. I have not had a problem streaming any media from those drives (eliminating the HDD's as a problem) since ceasing to use the 323.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:20:45 AM by tda-danny »

MisterJumpMan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »

I have the same problem. PS3 freezes up when loading a video. It only freezes though, if I browse through my folders, and choose a file that is deeper than one folder deep. If it is at the root, it streams fine. Also if I choose to stream a file from "Show All Videos," it works fine, even if that video freezes the PS3 when selecting it from folder browsing. Someone told me that on an external (USB) drive, the PS3 can only play video files that are located in the root. Could this be similar?
  For the record, I'm using PS3 Slim 250GB (Firmware 3.15), DNS-323 (Firmware 1.08), and a DIR-825 router (Firmware 1.13NA). Everything is hard wired.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:28:47 PM by MisterJumpMan »