• March 28, 2024, 04:13:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 disappears from network  (Read 24704 times)

AKFubar

• Level 3 Member
Re: DNS-323 disappears from network
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »

I ended up removing the hibernation on the 323 and also setting a static IP for the 323.  It seems have remedied the problem so far. :)

mo009042

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »

Hi all, I been having the same issue and saw these posts - so here I am. I've got the 323 with two 1TB cavier black HD's - bought this about a week ago and have them mirrored. I somehow got it to not disconnect for a few days but again this morning the NAS was disconnected via my computer. However, I'm able to view all of the files if I used the network magic 5.5 software that came with my Linksys router, even when it's disconnected from the network  ???. Does anybody else have this software or another like it? If so see if you can view your NAS from there as well. In order to view it again with my computer I to remap each time. I changed my hibernation time from 10 to 30 mins which I'm sure won't make a difference but I gotta try and my IP address has always been static.

darthjulian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »

I've been having the same problem. I have two DNS-323's and one constantly pops off the network and presently — won't go back on. I had upgraded the firmware to 1.08 hoping that would fix the problem, but it may have made it worse? It's got two 2 TB drives (one Seagate and one WD) in a RAID 1 configuration. Power cycling doesn't help, although it had in the recent past; nor does plugging and unplugging the network cable. I'm sort of out of ideas at this point.

Julian

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 11:19:01 AM »

See if this behavior is the same on if viewed from another PC on your network. It may be Anti-virus software or Windows firewall having an issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

darthjulian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »

Okay — I don't have a "PC" if by that you mean a machine running Windows. But — viewed from two different OS X machines, it is indeed not there.

[time passes]

I've hard reset the device and fixed the IP address and it has come back for the time being. It's stayed on for a couple of hours which is much better than it had in the past. I don't know what might've caused it to disappear, but I'll report back if anything unusual happens.

tedfroop

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »

Do you have the LLTD option on?  (Advanced, LLTD, Enable or disable)

Has anyone tried pinging the device when you cant see it?  (open a command prompt, type: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the address of the device replaces the x's)  What does the return say?

If you are using a Windows pc I would also be tempted to run (also from the command prompt):

ipconfig /flushdns

This clears all cached DNS resolution info.  Could be there is bad or conflicting info for your device address.
DIR-655 - as access point
DGS-1005G x2
DGS-1008G
DNS-323 x2
DNS-325
2 Squeezeboxes

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »

@darthjulian,

Since you are runniong OSX, did you installed the "Bonjour" application in the DNS-323 ?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »

I'm going to guess this is a master browser issue.  One problem with Windows workgroup networking is that when you have workstations turning on and off, sometimes the master browser elections get confused.  One solution to the issue is to simply use static IP addresses all around and construct a HOSTS file that maps all the names to devices and use that HOSTS file in every computer.  Some might think of this as a crutch, but the real crutch is NETBIOS browser elections. :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mrsbeata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »

This happens to me too, and I have Win 7.

What happens is now that I restarted the NAS (the buzzing is driving me nuts) and it cant be found. Not on the network, not by the static IP, not by easy search. The other day it happened and after a few days it popped back.

Thankful if anyone has any ideas.

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

Not on the network, not by the static IP, not by easy search
Are you able to get an HTTP connection to the IP address via a web browser?? If so, then the most likely answer can be found in this post:

Re: Lost Volume_1, BT and Web Folder still there?
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

This happens to me too, and I have Win 7.

What happens is now that I restarted the NAS (the buzzing is driving me nuts) and it cant be found. Not on the network, not by the static IP, not by easy search. The other day it happened and after a few days it popped back.

Thankful if anyone has any ideas.

Based on that single statement - what happened to you is not what happened to the ofther folks in the thread - and it might be a good idea to start a new thread.

If you had a static address set, and it could not be reached at that static address, it would suggest a network problem - were the link lights on ot off?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jtoddv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 06:47:45 AM »

I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone else that may find this thread in their Google search.

If you have a static IP set for your DNS-323, ensure that it is a high enough IP. With all of the devices floating around our houses today which connect to our networks (PS3, mobile phones, tablets, etc.), you will need to make sure that there is no cross-over.

Example: If the power goes out. Network resets. Your devices begin connecting to your network. If your DNS-323 static IP is low enough, you might have another device connect to the network faster and take over the same static IP. This will cause the DNS-323 to show up/be accessible, but then disappear minutes later.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »

The only way for the scenario presented in the post above to occur is for the user to break one of the fundamental rules of ip addressing, and the solution offered is nothing more than a "band-aid" fix, becuse it too, breaks that fundamental rule.

You should NEVER set a static ip address within the DHCP server's lease pool.

The correct fix is not to set the static ip to an address high enough that it will not be leased, but either reduce the size of the DHCP lease pool or create an exclude zone - which ever your DHCP server allows - and set aside a range of ip addresses for static use.

Have you ever noticed that some routers, by default, start the DHCP pool at a.b.c.101 - have you ever wondered why?  Well now you know - users can set static ip addresses in the range from a.b.c.2~a.b.c.100 without having to worry about ip conflicts.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »

You should NEVER set a static ip address within the DHCP server's lease pool
Unfortunately not all networking kit makes that easy. Here in the UK Virgin Media have started supplying their horribly misnamed SuperHub, which acts as both a cable modem and a router/switch but it only allows MAC reservations within the DHCP lease pool (and if you try to cheat by shrinking the pool once you've defined the reservations, it kindly deletes them all for you). I prefer to set up all devices within my home network with static IPs using MAC reservation and then to prevent the dynamic addresses from accessing the outside world, so this particular piece of junk aggravated me greatly.
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 02:45:04 AM »

OT.

Steve, I have friends in the UK with that unit and they too are having problems so I would like to pick your brain if I may.

Would it be possible to to switch off everything except the cable modem and use a separate switcg and the DNS-323 as the DHCP server?  Also is there a technical manual available for SuperHub?
Pages: 1 [2] 3