• March 18, 2024, 07:04:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is the maximum Jumbo Frame size that DIR 655 can accept?  (Read 17225 times)

pbodq

• Level 2 Member
What is the maximum Jumbo Frame size that DIR 655 can accept?
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3013&question=DIR-655
The FAQ said that it just supported up to 4KByte

However, I wonder whether it is outdated information

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30087/96/
The reviews dated 2007-07-09 said that it supports up to 9KByte

Does this statement apply to all hardware version?

My 655 is v1.21 A2 hardware and all my NIC can only support up to 4KByte.
Therefore, I cannot use them to have a 9KByte test on my 655.

Could anyone clarify this?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: What is the maximum Jumbo Frame size that DIR 655 can accept?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »

1) Jumbo frames are not intended for HOME networks. Doing this will degrade NAT performance, as the NAT will have more fragmenting to do.
2) The switch can handle 9K frames.
3) The NAT can only handle 4K frames.

In the end you will NOT see increased LAN performance by using jumbo frames, as the IPOS is designed to  handle a frame size of 1500.

Stay away from jumbo frames, it's intended for CORE network switches.

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »

You can do jumbo frames but through Gig external switch what supports jumbo frames but you won't notice much gain in throughput in none domain enterprise environment.
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

pbodq

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »

1) Jumbo frames are not intended for HOME networks. Doing this will degrade NAT performance, as the NAT will have more fragmenting to do.
2) The switch can handle 9K frames.
3) The NAT can only handle 4K frames.

In the end you will NOT see increased LAN performance by using jumbo frames, as the IPOS is designed to  handle a frame size of 1500.

Stay away from jumbo frames, it's intended for CORE network switches.

thanks for yuor explanation.
Most of my traffic is in switching side such as Windows files sharing. I do not access the internet frequently.
Doesn't it worth to use JF?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »

Not really. You won't see any LAN transfer speed increases.

mhoare1984

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »

Not really. You won't see any LAN transfer speed increases.

It depends, I have a DIR 655 with my DNS 323 and desktop PC all running 1Gbit and I have enabled Jumbo Frames at 9000 on both.

Since I transfer multi gigabyte files I got significantly better read performance from the DNS 323. Before enabling Jumbo Frames I was getting 12MB/s write and 15MB/s read. With 9000 Jumbo Frames enabled I'm getting 20MB/s write and 30MB/s read from my DNS 323. Also when a mate of mine brought his desktop PC around we were transferring at 60MB/s between our two desktop PCs so the DNS 323 must be bottlenecked at 30MB/s.

I must admit that small file transfers I saw absolutely no improvement. So it depends on what you transfer across your network and the speed of the source and destination, on whether or not you get better performance from enabling Jumbo Frames.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »

I read that the performance gain would be quite notible. One possible issue though is in a mixed envirobment. Same goes with switching capabilities. Not sure if the router falls back to the slowest link or queues the faster link when transfering data so that the slowest link has time to acknowledge requests and accept the data etc

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »

I saw serious performance decreases in streaming environments with jumbo frames.

ShMiCk

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »

It depends, I have a DIR 655 with my DNS 323 and desktop PC all running 1Gbit and I have enabled Jumbo Frames at 9000 on both.

Since I transfer multi gigabyte files I got significantly better read performance from the DNS 323. Before enabling Jumbo Frames I was getting 12MB/s write and 15MB/s read. With 9000 Jumbo Frames enabled I'm getting 20MB/s write and 30MB/s read from my DNS 323. Also when a mate of mine brought his desktop PC around we were transferring at 60MB/s between our two desktop PCs so the DNS 323 must be bottlenecked at 30MB/s.

I must admit that small file transfers I saw absolutely no improvement. So it depends on what you transfer across your network and the speed of the source and destination, on whether or not you get better performance from enabling Jumbo Frames.

I got the same exact results as this user, same speeds and all. But I found that I got better results with Jumbo Frames set at 4k.