• March 29, 2024, 06:24:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: network performance with DHP-303 adapters  (Read 4656 times)

fcuk112

• Level 1 Member
network performance with DHP-303 adapters
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »

my network setup is as follows:

broadband is connected to a BeBox, which is in turn connected to a ZyXEL GS105B switch.

the switch is connected to a PS3, PC and the DHP-303 adapter.

in another room, the second DHP-303 adapter is connected to another ZyXEL GS105B switch.  this adapter is in turn connected to NAS storage and 2 more PCs.

i am trying to ftp something from one of the PCs in the other room to a laptop connected via wireless.  i am getting speeds of around 1.6-2M/s.

generally, performance of copying something across the powerline adapters is quite slow...  can someone please comment on my setup and what i can do to improve performance?

thanks!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: network performance with DHP-303 adapters
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »

PowerLine networking (like 802.11) is a shared media network, such things would be dead if they were not so damned convenient.  There is no great way of predicting the performance of any shared media technology without doing a lot of work before deployment.

In particular with PowerLine the condition of your power infrastructure is paramount.  Unfortunately there is not much you can do to improve that, as if you were in a position to alter that infrastructure, throwing some UTP in the wall would have been you first pick (just don't place it next to those dirty power lines of yours).

For starters, don't test across 2 bad technologies.  Test point to point over PowerLine, the wireless is only hurting your test.

Try different plugs, turn off major appliances, try different rooms (and circuits).  Try it with and without your switch in place before the laptop.
non progredi est regredi