• March 28, 2024, 05:45:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS 343 Fan turns on and System freezes  (Read 6137 times)

chaitanyag

DNS 343 Fan turns on and System freezes
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »

Hi,
My DNS was running mostly fine for about an year or so. It was a bit slow and occcasionally it would drop off the network. Even though I had set the option to sleep after 10 minutes, i could hear the fan constantly starting up every few minutes (Even when all the other machines at home were turned off). But at least it worked.

Over the last few months. After a while, the fan is stuck on high, it drops off the network and I can't even shut it down. I press the power button and I see a "System Halt ..." that just goes on and on. I pretty much have to pull the power plug at the back to restart it.

Its set up as Raid 5 with 4 Seagate SATAII NCQ 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache drives. I am not running ftp server, torrents or anything else. Just plain vanilla. Running firmware version 1.04. Quick scan of the disk showed that everything is fine.

FMaz008

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS 343 Fan turns on and System freezes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »

I have the exact same problem:

This morning, when I woke up, the DNS fan was at full speed.
My file copy was interrupted, and the device was unreachable. I've tried to reset my network interface from my computer, still no responses. The front panel was still working, so I've checked to see the DNS IP, it has not changed.

So I've press the POWER button for 3 seconds in order to reboot the unit.
The DNS started to "System Halt ............"

The dot continue to be work as a progress bar, but I was halting for over 15 minutes.

So I've just unplugged the power cord.

The DNS is 4 days old.

FMaz008

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »

Ok, In only 1 day, I had to unplug & replug the NAS 5 times.

So I just upgraded to the 1.04 beta firmware. let see...

dstormy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »

I'm having exact same issue.  I emailed back and forth with dlink tech support and they not only take about 4 business days to reply, but they are also incompetent and just copy/paste the closest generic response they can find.

I have tried RAID 0, RAID 5, and now JBOD.  It's doesn't seem to be a config issue.  Today is my 6th time experiencing the problem.  Massive pain and huge fear that I might lose data.

Anyone had other luck with this?  How's the beta firmware?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »

After 18 months of flawless use, one of my DNS-343 started exhibiting the "fan on / system freeze" issue.   This issue only occurred 2x in the past 2 months -- I'm cautiously optimistic that the frequency of these occurrences does not increase.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ReVerb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:35 AM »

I just posted the same problem it was working great for 3 day then the fans full/freeze happened. for me it was when im trying to stream a avi to my tv it happened 3x out of 4 this kind sucks. i have the 1.03 firmware but thinking on getting the 1.04beta to see if it solves the problem

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »

I can only speak to my own experience.  Since migrating to firmware version 1.04 on my problematic DNS-343 five weeks ago, the fan lockup hasn't recurred.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC