• April 19, 2024, 03:56:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Move Files Within Drive  (Read 2254 times)

rishk789

• Level 1 Member
Move Files Within Drive
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »

Hello all,

I have a DNS-323 with a WD Caviar Green 2 TB drive. I have a bunch of data in one folder on my drive that I'd like to move to another folder. Is there a GUI way to do this (something non-SSH). If I try "dragging and dropping" using the Mac Finder, it seems like the files are going from the original folder on the NAS, to my Mac, and then back to the NAS into the desired folder. I simply want the files to change folder on the same drive.

Any solutions?

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
Re: Move Files Within Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »

Make sure that you are using the same network share for moving, Volume_1 for example and open source and destination folders from it.
If you have multiple separate shares like BT for BitTorrent and DAT for your data and try to move files between them your computer will treat them as separate Volumes and will perform copy, although they physically on the same disk.
Fastest copy of course from Linux CLI if you have funplug installed. 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Move Files Within Drive
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:27:23 AM »

Since you are using the computer to move them, it's the slow way.  The only fast way is to use the Linux cp-copy or mv-move to copy or move them.  Of course, this implies you have fun_plug running to gain access to telnet to do the commands.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.