• April 18, 2024, 08:50:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 video file limit and DMS-520 media player  (Read 7916 times)

randym431

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 video file limit and DMS-520 media player
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:55:14 AM »

A strange issue when using the dsm-520 media player  to play video off the dns-323. The video files only show a length of 5 minutes, all video files on the dns-323, on the media lounge. The file plays 5 minutes, then ends. However, if using the media lounge to play the same video file off a pc using the media lounge server installed on the pc, the file shows the full length (1hr 30 min). And looking at the file on the dns-323, its the full file size. Also, if I click on and play the same file off the dns-323, it shows a full length video file.
So, the issue is only using the media lounge to play a video file of 1hr 30min off the dns-323. The media lounge only plays the first 5 minutes and displays a length of only 5 minutes.

So it must be something with serving file from the dns-323 to the dsm-520. But which device is the problem????

Like I said, the m lounge plays video fine off the pc via media lounge server. And video files played off the dns-323 thru ms media player by clicking on the file off the dns-323.

But these two devices together... no go. And what gets me, the dns-323 is advertised as the perfect companion to the d-link media lounge.
(posting the in the media lounge section also)
Looking for a solution.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 video file limit and DMS-520 media player
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »

A strange issue when using the dsm-520 media player  to play video off the dns-323. The video files only show a length of 5 minutes, all video files on the dns-323, on the media lounge. The file plays 5 minutes, then ends. However, if using the media lounge to play the same video file off a pc using the media lounge server installed on the pc, the file shows the full length (1hr 30 min). And looking at the file on the dns-323, its the full file size. Also, if I click on and play the same file off the dns-323, it shows a full length video file.
So, the issue is only using the media lounge to play a video file of 1hr 30min off the dns-323. The media lounge only plays the first 5 minutes and displays a length of only 5 minutes.

Does it have this same issue with all video file formats? What formats have you tried?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

randym431

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »

Im using a mpg video file mepg2 actually. I'm discovering if the size is below 4.1 gb it plays fine in total. If the file is over 4.1 gb thats when the media lounge only is served or sees the first 5 minutes, by the dns-323, then ends. In "info" on playing these files, it shows the length as only 5 minutes. Files under 4.1gb mpeh2 quaity show as normal time span.
I think this is an firmware issue in file size handling for the dns-323. I dont think its the media lounge's problem. But I could be wrong.

I'm going to re encode one of these mpeg2 files to avi,  or just lower the bit rate to see what happens.

What these are, are my home dvd collection that I ripped using dvdfab, so I could have all my dvd collection on a hard drive rather than playing the disc's with my dvd player.
With dvdfab the common ripped dvd file length for a typical movie is right around 4 gb. Only files over 4.1gb  are the issue. And dvdfab rips in mpeg2 format.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »

mpeg2 files ending in .mpg. 4.1gb seems to be the magic limit in mpeg2 video. If the file is over that general size, the problem occurs with it only showing 5 minutes of a 1hr 30 min movie. These are my home dvd collection I ripped to a file using dvdfab. I thought having my dvd collection on the dns-323 server would be a great idea to not only store but as a dvd backup. I think dvdfab rips in mpeg2 format only. So its near a vob quality file. I posted also in the dms-520 forum in reguards to this issue.

Moving my reply from DNS-323 area and removing that thread. No need to have it on both forums.

The issue may not be the device but the method of ripping/combining. When you rip a DVD it is in individual VOB files. If you combine VOB files you risk losing the correct Track timer of the original VOB files. Is DVD Fab Decrypter the only software you are using to create this MPEG2 file? I don't remember DVD Fab Decrypt having an MPEG2 option but I could be incorrect.

D-Link

randym431

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:10:44 AM »

Sorry for the error in above post.
DVDfab is used to rip only. Then I need to use VOB2MPG freeware to process the ripped vob files to a mpeg2 file. The mpeg2 created by the VOB2MPG program is the final mpeg file I use.

These are around 4GB in size for a typical DVD movie.
They copy to the DNS-323 fine and I can play them by clicking using ms media player.
I can also put the mpeg2 file on my PC hard drive and use the DMS-520 media server to play thru the DMS-520. And they play fine and in total.

But... when I play them off the DNS-323 directly using the DMS-520, any mpeg2 file over 4.2 or 4.3GB shows a time of only 5 minutes. And stops playing the file after 5 minutes. 4GB or less, they play fine and in total.

Somethings going on with the size around 4.2GB, and serving off the DNS-323 to the DMS-520.  I'd imagine its a firmware quirk that could be addressed and fixed with a firmware update???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:12:43 AM by randym431 »