• April 17, 2024, 06:36:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New beta firmware  (Read 18919 times)

marc_al2

• Level 2 Member
New beta firmware
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »

Hello,

Can you please tell me when we can expect a new firmware (or a way to downgrade to 1.21) for the issue with shareport?
I hear nothing more about a new Beta firmware (and every day, I have to reboot the router because every one is complaining about a problem with the printer). So, I have to reboot the router every time, and after that, the printer is offline for Windows, and I have to put ii back online again.
If it is really so hard to solve, perhaps you should add an option to restart the router every 12 or 24 hours (at lease the time to have a fix).

Thank you
Marc

Alein

• Level 1 Member
Re: New beta firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »

You see, I made small research and it seems that DeLink use this same firmware for all devices from this same series (DIR-655 up to 855, AND DGL-4500). The difference is that they can add modules to support different functions. But the core is this same. People are angry, they have this same kind of problems.
Freezing is now very 'popular'.
DeLink will not allow us to downgrade, for them unhappy clients are new clients. How many of you were looking for a new router from DeLink? But I worn you it seems that new routers are even more unstable.DIR-855 the best router is the worst at this same time.
Since I use DIR-655 more than 2 years, it was never working as it should. Firmware 1.21 was the best. But who could expect that they add new bugs in place where there were no bugs before?
Check yourself the other routers forums.
DIR-655 A2 FW 1.3x :(

R3XNebular

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »

Well said, I also have to deal with this frustration, my Brother is a police officer and I am a Uni student, we both have to share one printer and find it increasingly difficult when one of us requires a constant internet connection and having to d/c that connection to use the printer.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

Well said, I also have to deal with this frustration, my Brother is a police officer and I am a Uni student, we both have to share one printer and find it increasingly difficult when one of us requires a constant internet connection and having to d/c that connection to use the printer.
You could just leave the printer plugged into one computer (although it would have to be on all the time while printing and just share the printer in windows as Dir 655 is unstable.

R3XNebular

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

You could just leave the printer plugged into one computer (although it would have to be on all the time while printing and just share the printer in windows as Dir 655 is unstable.

Yea but I bought this router for its QOS and Shareport feature.  :'(

Ozzed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:10:25 AM »

Oh never expect to get functionality that you pay for.. I bought one of these for the AP-bridge mode.. now they want me to buy a separate AP  ;D ....  :(

My bitpop and chiptune music.

REXNebular

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

Oh never expect to get functionality that you pay for.. I bought one of these for the AP-bridge mode.. now they want me to buy a separate AP  ;D ....  :(

I'll bet ya they are thinking the same thing for shareport, OH you should buy a print server then... they should get real... its like as if they are purposely trying to get on our nerves.

marc_al2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

Hello,

I have decides to buy a power controler (i don't know the word in English). I say it to stop powering the router between 2AM and half past 2 AM.
So, I don't have any problem anymore with shareport.

Marc

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »

Hello,

I have decides to buy a power controler (i don't know the word in English). I say it to stop powering the router between 2AM and half past 2 AM.
So, I don't have any problem anymore with shareport.

Marc

It's called a 'timer' ;)
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

ZT3D

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »

Marc's idea is actually a pretty good one in terms of a work-around for the annoying SharePort problem. I did an eBay search for something like what he described and found an item called the "Power Cop AC Power Outlet Timer" which retails for less than $20 and is available from sellers in Hong Kong. I'll probably go ahead and order one soon because chances are that it will arrive sooner than a firmware release from D-Link that fixes this problem. I wouldn't mind being wrong about that prediction, though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:37:48 AM by ZT3D »

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »

Hi,

I had suggested using a timer to shut off the router during your sleep times about 2 months ago at least...it was in response to another thread I think when 1.32 was pretty new and someone was wondering what to do about having to reset their modem every day or so.....

I had suggested it beacuse way back when I was participating in the Netgear WGT624 debacle, somebody then had suggested using one of those timers to reset that router once a day.....

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

ZT3D

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 11:43:24 PM »

I did some more reading about the "Power Cop" timer device and I actually don't think it would work because the D-Link DIR-655 power adapter doesn't look like it would fit in there. And based on my observations with SharePort connectivity in the latest beta firmware, it doesn't look like it lasts for even 9 hours before needing a power cycle so having it turn off once a day still wouldn't really be enough to ensure hassle-free printing around the clock.

I think the easiest solution for users with this never-ending problem is to add http://192.168.0.1/reboot.cgi?reset=false as a bookmark in their web browsers so that they can click on it and initiate the router reboot cycle without having to navigate through any configuration menus or unplug any devices.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:01:44 AM by ZT3D »

chaicka

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »

I would like to express my agreement that the newer firmwares that are intended to add additional functionality to the devices/routers are just breaking it with endless bugs and toppling the stability older firmwares like v1.21 used to have. Even old firmwares like v1.10 or v1.11 are much better than current ones.

marc_al2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 01:48:44 AM »

Hello,

Yes, a timer.  ;D
I have seen them in a shop for 3-4 Euro.
They are not really precise (30 minutes, but I can live with that)

Marc

hackztor

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »

or buy a real print server device and not have to worry anymore about it. I think dlink was nice for trying to add the feature to routers, but I think some devices just are not made to do that.
Pages: [1] 2