• March 28, 2024, 06:14:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No internet connection with router, but connects without it, what's wrong?  (Read 5757 times)

rhdins

• Level 1 Member

So I have a pretty good internet connection, 4megs up and down, but if I hook up the internet to my router and then hook my computer to the router I get a really slow connection, and sometimes it won't connect at all. 

If I plug the internet straight into the computer then it works just fine.  What's the problem?  Is ther some setting in the router I can change to fix this?

The weird thing is that I have my xbox 360 and my computer connected to the router, the internet connection on the xbox works just fine, but the internet connection on the computer does not work.

Any help would be great.

rcarty

• Level 1 Member

Since it's fine on the xbox we know the DSL modem and the router are talking fine. The problem has to be in the config of your computer. Do you have the IP address configured manually? If so, what is your default gateway? It should be the router's local IP. Do you have DNS configured manually? If so, don't use the local IP of the router, use the ISP's DNS IPs direct. If it's neither of these then if you have proxy or something else enabled turn those off.

mmeyer4663

• Level 1 Member

I have a very similar problem.
Seems like about once a week, or every so often, I will bring my laptop out of standby and it will not be able to obtain an IP address.  Other PC in my home network connected to the 615 via wired or wireless are still working fine at this time.
Resetting the 615 or, sometimes, just doing a save from any of the configuration screens will restore the ability to obtain an IP address.
This just happend again last night.  To try something different, I setup reserved IPs for all of my devices on the network once they obtained an IP from the 615.
Hope this might help my situation.

It is interesting that sometimes DHCP works and sometimes it doesn't  I have a Rec C 615 and the latest code.  I have had this problem with all version of code loaded on the 615.

mmeyer4663

• Level 1 Member

Ok folks!  This problem is definitly a bug in the DIR-615.
For some reason, DHCP just stops working.

I set all of my devices in the reserve list so I knew what IP was being doled out to what device.  Set it up yesterday.

Today, I tried to get one of my laptops on the network and have the 615 dole out the reserve IP.  The laptop would not get an IP.
As soon as I went into the laptops network settings and hardcoded the IP address that it was assigned by the 615 yesterday, all was good.
I removed the hardcoding and tried again to get a IP via DHCP.  Would not work.
I then reset the 615 and low and behold, the laptop was able to get an IP via the 615 DHCP.

DLink, are you listening!?  Fix this BUG!!!!!, please!