• April 24, 2024, 10:07:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Reseting ip leasing time  (Read 6019 times)

karas

• Level 1 Member
Reseting ip leasing time
« on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »

Hello
I have a question about ip leasing time from SETUP->Network. I have default value for expiration time that mean 24h. But after 12h the counter is reset and time starts from 24h like i will just connect computer to the router but i didn't. Any sugestion? what's could be wrong?
Thank you for your answer
Krzysztof

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: Reseting ip leasing time
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »

Did you enable the NTP Server from the Time Configuration?
Life is cool! :)

karas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:32 AM »

Hello
Yes i enable NTP server.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »

Your IP address is invalid after the lease time expires and a host will be forced (if it's standards compliant) to completely drop it's IP at that time.  The standard operation therefore is to have a host request the same IP or failing that a new IP from the router at exactly half it's lease time to give it time to renew the IP before the lease time expires.  In your case this renewal is being accepted and the lease time is therefore reset.

This operation is defined in the standard definition for DHCP servers and in common design of DHCP clients.
non progredi est regredi

karas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »

In my Linksys WRV54g only after 24h dhcp renew or releas ip not in a half time that's why this was strange for me.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:17 AM »

It is possible that knowing the standard operation (your computers are the part that makes this decision, so them being constant means it wansn't actually different operation) the Linksys doubled the time entered.  However that is purely speculation on my part.  If I had your old router and took some packet captures I could tell you, however this shouldn't be a huge concern.
non progredi est regredi