• March 28, 2024, 06:25:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Working 2TB disks?  (Read 3939 times)

desau13

• Level 1 Member
Working 2TB disks?
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »

Hi all,

Seems like this device is littered with problems when using 2TB disks. 

There's this woefully out-of-date HDD compatibility list:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=42485.0

However, all of those 2TB disks are no longer being sold.  Does anyone have any success stories (particularly with RAID-5) with modern 2TB disks?  If so, which disks? 

desau13

• Level 1 Member
Re: Working 2TB disks?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »

Success!  I've found some modern 2TB disks that seem to work perfectly fine with the DNS-343: The Western Digital Red NAS WD20EFRX drive.  You can find this drive currently in 1, 2, 3 and 4 TB versions.  The 2TB version can be found for about $100 currently. 

I've plugged 4 of these into my DNS-343 and it initialized RAID-5, formatted EXT2 with no errors and SMART shows Pass for all 4 drives.  I'm currently copying over my data, all seems good.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »

I would carefully monitor your new RAID-5 array very closely to ensure the array maintains its integrity. I also strongly recommend maintaining an external backup of your data at least until you are 100% sure the array is stable.

As always, I must stress that a RAID-5 array is not considered a backup and you should keep an external copy of any critical data.

I hope that congratulations are in order. Please post back in a month after you've had a chance to burn in your new HDDs. I'm sure there are many other DNS-343 owners eager to learn of alternative HDD options.  ;)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »

Success!  I've found some modern 2TB disks that seem to work perfectly fine with the DNS-343: The Western Digital Red NAS WD20EFRX drive.  You can find this drive currently in 1, 2, 3 and 4 TB versions.  The 2TB version can be found for about $100 currently.  

I've plugged 4 of these into my DNS-343 and it initialized RAID-5, formatted EXT2 with no errors and SMART shows Pass for all 4 drives.  I'm currently copying over my data, all seems good.

I just unearthed this thread and have to ask how your DNS-343 is working with the WD HDDs you purchased. Are the HDDs working as expected? Other DNS-343 owners are looking for replacement DNS-343 HDDs that are still available (and at a reasonable price).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC