• April 25, 2024, 11:53:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-510 and DRM  (Read 7014 times)

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
DSM-510 and DRM
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »

I wanted to ask others if they had a chance to test any of the rental services out there. Basically downloading files that have Digital Rights Management (DRM) built in the container, and instead of watching them on the computer, stream them to the DSM-510. AFAIK, the device should support the Microsoft DRM in wmv files (from, say, MovieLink.com) and the Divx VOD files.

I have yet to try the sample files from MovieLink. I'll report back when I do.

I have performed the steps of creating a Divx account, and enable my device with the code. The activation video (renamed to .avi) plays fine. After a quick email to the Divx customer support, I was pointed to Greencine as one of their VOD partners, but I did not find any content.

I did not want to really start an all-out DRM discussion, just to see if people have had success with DRM in general. Maybe even somebody figured out how to watch Netflix movies...

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
Re: DSM-510 and DRM
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

I have yet to try the sample files from MovieLink. I'll report back when I do.
Wow, it seems to work. First try, too.
Go to Movielink.com
Pick a free movie
Accept the download of the download manager
As the movie downloads, go in Windows Media Player and add the Movielink folder to the monitored folders
The downloaded movies should show on the DSM-510 once the download completes
Just press play and enjoy

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

DigitalUser

Thank you for your input I use this as well and it works great.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

I have a download DRM WMV movie from Direct2Drive and it works great on my PC, but the DSM-510 won't play it cause it says it's unsupported. Hummm maybe because yours was free it's not really DRM. I will try it too.

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »

UPDATE: I went to Movielink and downloaded a free and purchased movie. The free one said it download but I could not locate it on my hard drive (wierd). The purchased movie worked on my computer and on my DSM-510, but the movie on the DSM-510 was abit jittery and the sound went out after 2:15 into the movie. So I don't know why some .WMV work and some don't. I hope that DLINK is aware of this issue and are working on fixing it with a firmware.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »

Are you using WMP11 as your media server on the PC?

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

Yes, but what do that have to matter with playback on the extender? Also I tried to get other version an Windows Vista won't let you rollback to any other version of Windows Media Player

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »

WMP11 is required to be used as the media server to support DRM protected files.

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

Well that's what i'm using. I only mention the rollback, cause I though your reply was going to mention that the DSM-510 isn't compatible yet, and that you were going to tell me to rollback.  :P