• April 16, 2024, 01:21:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-510 USB PLAY VS. NERO MEDIA HOME ISSUES  (Read 5080 times)

C4MP3R

DSM-510 USB PLAY VS. NERO MEDIA HOME ISSUES
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:54 AM »

In my attempts to find the best settings to rip my dvd's to, i have encountered issues with play back of various bit rates from Nero MediaHome.

I'm confused as to why the system would act this way, and want to know how can i resolve the issue.  I would like to be able to play high quality rips from my media server rather than the USB port.

Here is my scenario:

I have created different bit rates of mp4 files and there is a point at which playing through Nero MediaHome the files will "gray" out on the DSM-510 menu and can't be played.  However, if i take that same file and run it through the USB port on the DSM-510 the movie plays perfectly.

Why is it that the same mp4 file can't be played from the Nero MediaHome but can be from the USB port on the device?

A buddy of mine has the DSM-520 and is using D-Link software on the media server.  He can play the same mp4 file (mentioned above) perfectly.  We are both using Nero Recoder 3 to rip movies.  Our only differences are the 510 vs. 520 and medial server software.

Should I trash the software that came with the DSM-510 (Nero 7) and use the D-Link media server that came with the 520? or should i use TVERSITY?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DSM-510 USB PLAY VS. NERO MEDIA HOME ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »

You can use any media server you would like you may have different results using a different media server. I am not sure why it would play Via USB and not streaming from you PC. Are you connected wirelessly from the DSM-510 to the router or is you PC wireless as well? If so I would recommend trying it wired and see if it is a bandwidth issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

C4MP3R

Re: DSM-510 USB PLAY VS. NERO MEDIA HOME ISSUES
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:20 AM »

UPDATE:
I uninstalled Nero 8 home essentials and reinstalled Nero 7 and now i can play the video from my network.  i am not sure why Nero 8 would not be better or work similar to Nero 7.  The two packages look similar.

Also, i tested other media servers and none worked with the 510.  i even have a media center PC and didn't have much luck.

I did find out that Nero 8's recoder 3 works great when combined with ANYDVD.  i combined recoder 3 with ANYDVD and i am very satisfied with the whole set up now.  Of course i have Nero 8 on a whole different PC, separate from my media server with Nero 7.  Note that it took me 3 weeks just to find the right combination and learn all the "bugs" of the system.

it will be nice to see the next generation of media systems that don't take so long to work out all the issues (which i still encounter some, but they are tolerable).