• April 16, 2024, 06:04:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Large Video Files  (Read 7656 times)

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
Large Video Files
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »

I am running D-Link Media Server v1.10. 

When I look at the Media Files tab, any large video files (ones that are over 4.2 Gb) show up with a zero Total Time and Bitrate.  Also the listed Resolution is incorrect.  I suspect they are using a DWORD (32bit) for length and having issues for files larger then that.

When I play the file, it stops playing at around the 4Gb spot.

I split the files into two.  The Total Time, Bitrate, and Resolution show up correctly, also they played correctly.

Anyone else having this issue?

Kolinb

skeil909

Re: Large Video Files
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »

Encoding a 4.2+ gb file right now and will test it out.

eh, it came out at 3.8gb. I'll have to dig up something bigger. Trying another at 100% quality.

Dang, 3.9gb on the other and that was the biggest I have atm.  :-[ 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:04:43 PM by skeil909 »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

Have you tried these large files with WMP11 as well? Are you encoding .avi files?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

All these files were AVI files (720p XVid with AC3 5.1 audio). 

4.2 Gb is one of those magic numbers (2 e32).  The files work fine on a computer and they work fine on the DSM-520 once I split them up into two files. 

I suspect the issue is isolated to the Media Server software. 

If you require any more info, please ask.

Kolinb

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:54:56 PM »

Interesting, I thought this went away with one of the firmware updates.  I am using the firmware V1.06, and I have streamed VOB's over 5 Gb routinely.  What version of the firmware are you using?  By the way, I'm not usually using the DLink software.  I've been streaming from an Infrant NAS and/or from Tversity.

Alan

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »

I noticed this on firmware version 1.02 (I am a little worried about upgrading until I am sure that I won't loose any functionality).  However it is the Media Server software that is exhibiting the odd behaviour.  I guess the NAS upnp and TVersity recognizes the large file sizes.

Can anyone who is running 1.05 or 1.06 and the Dlink Meda Server software verify that large files are not recognized correctly in the Dlink Meda Server software?  (A quick way to create a large file is to just concatenate a small one to itself over and over again using something like VirtualDub)

Thx,

Kolinb

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »

Have you tried using Windows Media Player 11 as you media server to see if you have the same results?

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »

You definitely need to upgrade the firmware to at least V1.05.  V1.06 is Ok also.  The upside is that V1.06 works with HDMI V1.3.  The downside is that the album art that worked so well in V1.05 got partially broken.  Basically there is a size limitation for album art in V1.06.  Both firmware versions are much improved over V1.02.  Check out the AVS forum thread on the DSM-520 starting about last summer and you will get more info than you ever wanted to know about the firmware.

Alan

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »

ECF,

I don't have Media Player 11, but I do have Tversity.  I just checked and it recognizes the files correctly (proper resolution, bitate, and duration).

Kolinb

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »

I would recommend using other software then the D-Link Media Server software if there is an issue with files over 4GB. I will forward this issue have the 4GB file issue investigated by the engineers.

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »

Tversity supported 4 GB files at a very early point in time and much prior to the DLink fix.

Upgrade the firmware and your problems will go away.

Alan

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 04:16:57 AM »

Thx everyone for your suggestions.  I will upgrade my firmware but that will obviously not fix this issue since it is a Dlink Media Server limitation. 

I will use TVserity for these larger files or split them up into multiple parts.

Thx,

Kolinb