• April 23, 2024, 11:27:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: EBR-2310 Syslog Support  (Read 9874 times)

neb

• Level 2 Member
EBR-2310 Syslog Support
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »

The EBR-2310 Revision B manual claims:

This router also has external Syslog Server support so you can send the log files to a computer on your network that is running a Syslog utility.

Where is this configured? Is this another documentation error with this increasingly disappointing device?

This is yet another missing feature that tempted me to buy this device.

Also, there only appear to be about 32 lines of log saved. What good is that? I guess I expect too much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:28:16 PM by neb »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: EBR-2310 Syslog Support
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:05 AM »

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right that device does not support an external Syslog server.  I have taken this point up with product development as to why it's listed in the manual and I suspect it was a simple oversight.  I apologize for the inconvenience.
non progredi est regredi

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

Forgive me my touch of rant in the initial post. I hope my input helps improve your product line. For the record, here are the problems I've found in the manual.

Note: This router came with Firmware 2.01, but only Firmware 2.00 and manual 2.0 is available for download.

ebr2310rev_B_manual_200.pdf

• Page 11 - Refers to "Configuring Your PCs to Connect to the EBR-2310". No such section exists
  • Page 37 - "... be sure to make a static reservation on the Basic > DHCP page...". No such feature
  • Page 48 - "This router also has external Syslog Server support...". No such feature

The help pages that come in the firmware (available from the router's own web management pages) also includes a link to the DHCP Static Reservation configuration (which doesn't actually exist).

I recognize that mistakes happen, but claiming false features does not make for content consumers. On the other hand, these forums are a major benefit to the tech-savvy community of customers. Thank you for your knowledgeable assistance.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »

Thanks for the list, I will pass this on to product development!

Rants are always fun, and I understand your disappointment.  Unfortunately I do not even work with this product on any regular basis so I don't have more immediate answers than I will pass it on.  The Linux board is my bailiwick and my avatar a switch for a reason.
non progredi est regredi

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »

That brings up a question. Telephone tech support recommended I post my questions at these forums. However, when I got here and registered, I couldn't find a proper place to ask. In fact, this was one of the few places I could even create a new topic. So, I spun my questions with a Linux slant (EBR-2310 vs LEAF, EBR-2310 Syslog Support).

Is there a place on this site for general router support questions?

To keep this thread on-topic, regarding the manual and Linux:

Please document the system requirements more clearly. The manual, product site, and the box itself imply that Windows is required for configuring this router. The Windows-based wizard is completely optional.

Also, that missing section about configuring your system to manually set up the router would have been useful. It would have hinted to set a (temporary) static IP address in the default 192.168.0.X network in order to access the router's web configuration. My machine was previously on a different internal address space, and it took me a while to figure out that it actually needed to match the router's 192.168.0 IP.

OK, now I'm just nitpicking. I need to stop bothering you and get back to work...

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

Unfortunately there is no proper place for this product (currently only the Draft N home routers and some multimedia products have boards).  Technically I should have removed this thread as it lacks any connection to the subject at hand.  The good news is I am pushing to get all of our products on the forum.

Unfortunately the system requirements including Windows is going to stay that way, as while I agree with you completely, the average user will require that wizard to get online.  The simple fact is that Linux users are seen as being either self sufficient or co-sufficient, which isn't a terrible reputation to have most of the time, so the documentation isn't made for them.  Likewise it is assumed that if you can set a static IP then you can realize the default IP of this unit means you will need to be a member of the 192.168.0.0/24 network.
non progredi est regredi

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:53:03 PM »

Yes, I see all of your points.

My opinion is that this type of customer support (quick, knowledgeable, close-to-the-source) is exactly what I want from a product. An online forum frequented by D-Link support staff is the perfect type of system for this. These forums are the main reason I did not immediately return this router.

I hope you can ramp up to support more products.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Good news we now have an EBR-2310 board so this thread is being moved there.
non progredi est regredi