• April 24, 2024, 05:08:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VPN Ukraine  (Read 7365 times)

Camacabre

• Level 1 Member
VPN Ukraine
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:41:43 AM »

Okay, I recently moved from Germany to the Ukraine. In Germany, this router was perfect for my needs with a static IP. Unfortunately now, I have PPTP internet (Briz) that requires a VPN (or so I think). They said the router should work fine as long as it's Dlink. I'm now realizing they know as much as me.

When I set up the router according to their (Extremely not in English) directions. I must use the VPN to log on via each computer. This completely foils the purpose of the router as it only seems to be allowing the single computer on at a time. For the sake of mine and my wife's sanity, this needs to be resolved.

I'm going to keep attempting to use the "Russian PPTP" and PPPoE options, but I'm sure it will be to no avail.

Any suggestions?

f41thr

Re: VPN Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »

Hi Camacabre,

do you get any information from your Russian Provider. Do you receive an ADLS Modem? How is the "Internet" supplied at your home? What type of cable? A lan cable, modem? Do you get a letter with user credentials?  

I run a DIR-600 with dd-wrt. dd-wrt offer an pptp option, should be the same as with the original firmware.
So I can't check for the original firmware. Have a look in your DIR-600 documentation.  
You may ask your provider for your user credentials (username, password). The ADSL modem deliver an IP adress to your router so configure DHCP. You may also ask for the IP address of the pptp server.

Austria use ADSL with PPTP as well. Ask Altavista or Google (pptp, ADSL, D-LINK) as further reference.

Where are you? Kiew? Maybe I'll visit you next year. Send a PM.

Kind regards

F41THR  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:48:30 PM by f41thr »

Camacabre

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »

Follow up:

My provider is technically Ukrainian, but they follow the same format as Russian PPTP. We personally received no modem. The internet is supplied via a Cat5 that is just run into each of our flats. I live in a block of flats and the cable was already pre-installed.

As for user credentials, I have them all.

I know all the information I can come up with. Username/Password; IP Adress; Subnet; Gateway; DNS 1/2

Also when setting them up a few "Adv. Routing rules for the WAN ports", but despite all of this. No such luck.

I've attempted running DD-WRT and now the 2.03 firmware for the DIR-600 and both set ups were to no avail. I've been looking at my ISP (Briz) website and they offer some firmware of their own for several routers. This leads me to believe (As everything in the Ukraine) my router needs to be jail broken for their service specifically. Unfortunately, they do not have a DIR-600 firmware. Although they do have DIR-300 and DIR-320. When installing DD-WRT previously, I saw that the 600 and 300 were very similar.

Using Dir-600 Firmware 2.03:
When setting up the router if I use just the plain DHCP set up using my information. I can then log on wirelessly with one computer to the VPN service. (Until today that worked fine.) When attempting to follow the ISPs instructions for setting up the dual access PPTP for D'Link routers I could now connect with any of the computers. A constant error with PAP seemed to present itself.

Using DD-WRT:
I found myself far outside of my element. I tried everything imaginable, but without some form of "Dummy's Guide" I'm sure I'd never accomplish it. Also, while doing this I found a guide to set up the routers as provided by the ISP. This is where I realized they provide a homebrew firmware for all the "compatible" routers.

I doubt the website will be available to you as it is probably just part of the ISP's network, but here goes nothing (If you don't speak Russian, I used translate.google.com and it worked splendidly) 192.168.1.14.

So at this point, I seem to be at the edge of trying the DIR-300 homebrew from my ISP with my DIR-600 router. Will this cause any major problems? I'm sure it is not recommended, but I'm at my wits end.

f41thr

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »

Using Dir-600 Firmware 2.03:
When setting up the router if I use just the plain DHCP set up using my information. I can then log on wirelessly with one computer to the VPN service. (Until today that worked fine.) When attempting to follow the ISPs instructions for setting up the dual access PPTP for D'Link routers I could now connect with any of the computers. A constant error with PAP seemed to present itself.

Will this cause any major problems? I'm sure it is not recommended, but I'm at my wits end.
Where do you see this error? Either DIR-600 or you PC
Forget with dd-wrt, to complex to support from outside.
We can arrange a web meeting, let's have a look on your configuration remotely.
Have you read my personal mail. Just come back to me.

Greetings to Russia (Kiew  I would guess) from Stuttgart!

Update:
Try this on the Internst Connection Setup Page of your DIR-600.
If this is also not working, use CLONE MaC Address.

I can sen'r screenshots on request.

DIR-300 / 600 using Russion pptp

Enter the information provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
      :*:Dynamic IP  Static IP

IP Address :      (assigned by your ISP)

Subnet Mask :      

Gateway :      

DNS :      

MAC Address :      -  -  -  -  -  (optional)

Server IP/Name :      

PPTP Account :<username>       MPPE :*:

PPTP Password : <password>      

PPTP Confirm Password : password>

Maximum Idle Time :       Minutes

MTU :1400:

Connect mode select :*:   Always

: : Manual  : : Connect-on demand

F41THR
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:42:53 AM by f41thr »

Camacabre

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »

Solution: ISP had saved password incorrectly. I had never questioned it since, Why would I? But, after finally getting a response from their crack agents at the help desk - they realized my English password would probably have lead to an issue. They were correct.

After it worked I tried DD-WRT and it worked fine as well.

I owe a few apologies on several forums now I'm sure.

Thanks so much for the help,
Sorry it turned out a language barrier can block even internet conenctions.