• April 26, 2024, 08:15:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HELP! Can't get DAP-1522 and DIR-655 to work at all! Craziness!  (Read 11294 times)

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member

I have a DIR-655 running in mixed mode with WPA2.

I wanted to attach a DAP-1522 in bridged mode to an xbox360 and a dvr in a bedroom.  I plugged the DAP-1522 in to my DIR-655 and used the 0.50 IP address to use the web config to go through the manual setup and entered my SSID info and password and it says connected under status however within seconds after connecting all the the devices on my network drop and can't connect to the internet.

Also if I unplug the DAP-1522 from my DIR-655 it no longer talks to my DIR-655.

Whats the best settings for DIR-655 and DAP-1522 to get this working.  I can't believe this is so difficult.

DIR-655 is running 1.21NA and the DAP-1522 is 1.21 firmware.

I've also noticed other wierdness like after connecting the bridge to my router I can't modify most of the wireless settings as they are greyed out in the web interface. 

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: HELP! Can't get DAP-1522 and DIR-655 to work at all! Craziness!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

Don't connect the DAP to the router if you want to run it in bridge mode.
Connect one Laptop or PC via cable and assign a staic ip to in the properties of the network connection.
For example:
Gateway and DNS: 192.168.0.1 (your router IP if you use DNS Relay)
(this is only for configuration,don't forget to set it back afterwards.)

Opne the menu of the DAP with IE and on the wireless site search your router's network and enter the password. (For best results use WPA2-PSK/AES - no Auto settings in the router)
Save the settings and restart the device.

Now the DAP should connect and you should be able to reach your network and the internet.

I've also noticed other wierdness like after connecting the bridge to my router I can't modify most of the wireless settings as they are greyed out in the web interface
That is normal, in bridge mode the DAP is a client and uses the settings provided by your router.
If you would change them, you would not be able to connect anymore.

Im running both for several weeks no without any problem.
DIR with latest 1.33NA and DAP with 1.21.

I recommend to give all devices connected to the bridge static ip addresses.
DHCP can lead to trouble if you restart the bridge as it needs a time to be online again.
Some devices assign themselves an APIPA address then (169.254.x.x) and are no longer connected.

Hope this helps

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions.  WIll try this tonight.

It sounds like when the DAP is in bridge mode, connecting it to the router for configuration is a NO NO and causes the network to go crazy and devices to drop off.

I will give it a shot just connecting the DAP to my laptop using a static IP on my lappy for configuration.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »

It sounds like when the DAP is in bridge mode, connecting it to the router for configuration is a NO NO and causes the network to go crazy and devices to drop off.
Yes it wll cause a loop because the bridge is conected to the router via cable and wireless at the same time.

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »

Still having problems.  I set the IP on my laptop statically and am able to connect and configure the dap.  I see that it is connected on the status page.  I went through the manual setup wizard and it detected the correct settings that match my router.  the status page even says connected but i cannot browse the web from my laptop connected to the bridge by cable with my wireless card disabled.  

i used my routers ip as the default gateway and dns ip.

i also cannot ping 192.168.0.1 which is my router when connected to the bridge by cable even though I can ping 192.168.0.50(the bridge).

The bridge also appears to be crashing my wireless connection to the router again even though it is not plugged in to the router.  My wireless router keeps disconnecting me while the bridge is powered on.  

The bridge appears to be connected to the router as the status page says connected and the information is accurate but I cannot get on the web when plugged directly in to the bridge with a laptop even though i can ping 192.168.0.50(bridge) and not 192.168.0.1(router)

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:29:40 PM by sethhobrin »

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »

Look into the log of the router what messages apear regarding the connections of the bridge.

Do you use MAC filters ? If yes, is the wireless MAC of the bridge and the LAN MAC of your laptop in the allowed entries ?

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »

I do not use mac filters.  in fact i have nothing unque configured on the router.  wps is turned off.  securespot is turned off.  I turned off all those added features. 

I even turned it to N only wpa2, aes and reset everything.

If I look at the log it just says that 4 factor authentication or whatever succeeded.  there are no error   messages in the wireless bridge at all.  it just looks like it is logging on to the router and connecting successfully and the status page confirms that yet whenever the wireless bridge is connected wirelessly to my router all my wireless clients start dropping off the network every few minutes until I unplug the dap.

If I plug in to the DAP and give my laptop a static IP I can connect to the dap just fine to config and check status but I cannot ping the router or get on the internet even though the DAP says I am connected to the router successfully.

the only thing I haven't done is do a hard reset to wipe all of the settings on my router.  i wonder if some weird routing or arp entries are causing an issue. m ost likely I think this is just DLINk bugginess.  I really hope I can get this working and haven't wasted all this money on this very expensive device.

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »

bump.  anyone?  Help?  Can't get this darn thing working.

Taino718

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »

More info needed. Add DAP1522 ip address and mac address to DIR-655 at setup, network settings, add DHCP reservation, and save. Make sure DHCP is on for DIR655?

Assign static ip address to DAP1522. Turn off DHCP. Make sure default gateway is the ip address of your router. For wireless make sure channel width is auto 20/40.

psdont

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »

I'm having a similar problem.  I already have one DAP-1522 in the network as a bridge and it is working fine and I can open the web interface to that one no problem.  The first DAP-1522 has been operating for about a year and a half now.  Am trying to add a second one in another area of the house.  I have it setup for a static IP (192.169.0.31) and ran the auto WPS setup on it.  The problem is that I cannot get access to the web interface on the second DAP for further configuration or ping it.  As a lark, hooked it up to my WD Live Media player and I can connect to my multimedia content elsewhere on the network.  Before hooking up the Media player unit, I did try to set it up with a laptop but could not access it when directly connected nor from other computers on the network after the Media player was connected.

P.S.  The router and first DAP where upgraded earlier this week to the current firmware releases.

sethhobrin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »

I flashed the firmware on both devices and hard reset them.  i then reconfigured my network using almost identical settings other than disabling A/B as well as turning on WPS.

I mated them using WPS and now everything works.  This is some buggy product.  I do not recommend manually linking the devices together even if you do a site survey.  let WPS handle it.