• April 23, 2024, 09:18:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320 powered down with new Green Switch  (Read 3859 times)

NAS_user

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 powered down with new Green Switch
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »

My DNS-320 has been running for 2 years with no problem. It was connected to a Trendent 10/100 regular unmanaged switch. I just changed the switch to the Trendnet 10/100/1000 GreenNet switch and my DNS-320 was powering down by itself. I have no done any detail diagnostic yet. I was wondering if this has to do with the GreenNet technology which changes the voltage to the port after a period of unused. Does any one has the similar experience and knows how to fix it.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-320 powered down with new Green Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »

Is the power-down soft or hard? (i.e. does the DNS-320 go through a controlled shutdown or does the power simply cut-out)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

NAS_user

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »

Is there anywhere in the log that I can find out the time and how it was powered down ? I only found out that it was powered down when I tried to access it.

RicRoller

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »

Is there anywhere in the log that I can find out the time and how it was powered down ? I only found out that it was powered down when I tried to access it.
The log does show "normal" shutdown and power-up/reboot events, so you should be able to find the reboot event corresponding to when you restarted the NAS after you noticed that it had gone offline. Then, the events logged just prior to that may give a clue as to what happened - did it do a complete power-off or did it hang?

FWIW, while troubleshooting a different issue, I have had my DNS-320 (F/W 2.02) connected via a Trendnet TEG-S5g 5 port gigabit switch (with the "GREENnet" feature to control the power usage). Although it's been running for only a few hours connected to the Trendnet switch, I haven't had any unexpected power-down or reboot events. But, on one occasion, when the hard drive spun-down due to inactivity, the Windows 7 PC with the drive mapped showed a red X against the drive letter as if the network share was no longer available. However, clicking on it, the drive spun up and its contents were shown OK, so I'm putting that down to a Windows glitch, not the NAS.

Regards,
Richard

NAS_user

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

Thanks for the update Richard. I think I found the problem (at least it has not powered down on me for 2 days). I think the power down was due to high temperature. I turned the box by 90 degree in order to make room for the green switch. This must be just enough to change the airflow. I have the fanctl program installed to control the fan. It does not seem to work properly. I update the fanctl config to run the fan at high speed at 48 degree and that seems to have fixed the problem.

RicRoller

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

Here's hoping that it was just the temperature, and that turning the box round again has stopped it recirulating its hot air...

I'm still using the default auto fan control in the 2.02 firmware (off/low/high); most of the time the fan is off and the internal temperature is somewhere around 45 deg.C.

Regards,
Richard