• April 19, 2024, 09:55:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Formatting Harddrive Locks Up Device  (Read 5416 times)

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
Formatting Harddrive Locks Up Device
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

I'm trying to install a brand new WD 3TB harddrive (WD30EZRX) and the DNS-320 locks up as soon as it starts the formatting process. Never gets past 0% (I left it for an hour) and becomes unresponsive (opened another tab and tried to access the web ui), I have to unplug the DNS-320 in order to kill it. I've tried with firmware 2.02 and 2.03b with the same results.

DLinks super-helpful phone support told me to just leave it, that 3TBs takes a really long time to format.

I call BS, no progress after an hour and unresponsive webui means something is wrong.

This drive was listed on the compatible drives list. Any suggestions on what I can try to work around this issue?

albuemil

• Level 2 Member
Re: Formatting Harddrive Locks Up Device
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »

Is it the only HDD in the NAS or is it the second HDD ?

I'm asking because there's a known problem that the unit doesn't format the second HDD.
For example look at : Formatting second drive hangs for eternity

If it's the only drive in the NAS then i don't know what to say, you could try to put the HDD in a computer and delete all partitions (let the drive completely unpartitioned) because i remember there where some problems if the HDD had already existing partitions.

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »

For 3TB you also need to update the firmware. Stock only supports 2TB.

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

I'm trying to format a single harddrive, and I've tried using the newest stable & beta firmwares.

domovoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »

are you formatting using D_Link wizard desktop app? If so, do not use it. Go to web interface and format fro m there.

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »

I've tried the webui (which just stops updating) and the desktop app (which crashes with an exception).

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »

Has the disk already been partitioned before in something else? Can you plug it into a PC and remove any partitions or format in another device just to test.

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Gonna try that today, format it in a PC to make sure the drive works, and then delete all partions and try the DNS again.

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Looks like it's due to a bad drive. One PC won't boot with the thing plugged in another one won't even see it.

WolfmanStoneback

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:59 AM »

Bought the bundle of DNS-320 w/ WD 1x2TB (WD20EURS) and it worked fine after initial setup. Now, for me, 2TB is to small of a storage capacity. So I checked D-Link's compability list (ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Products/dns-products/dns-320/Documentation/DNS-320_Compatibility_List-20111004.pdf) for 3TB's and got WD 2x3TB (WD30EZRX). Plugged them in and was ready to start my back-up'ing.

But I've got the same problem as stretchstrong with WD 3TB (WD30EZRX).
0% progress with webUI and crash with the latest downloaded app
(DNS-320_Setup_Wizard_EU_v1.0.4.2_09012011, firmware 2.02 stable).

After the first try I mounted them in a Win7 machine and re-formatted the drives for PC (NTFS).
They mount into 2 differrent Win7 machines and works spot-on.

So now I knew that the drives were working (ie. no hardware issues there).

Ok, removed the partitions to leave them raw and tried different angles in DNS-320.
  • tried them both again, as Standard-JBoD-Raid0-Raid1 (all w/ the same problem)
  • tried them one at the time, as Standard-JBoD-Raid0-Raid1 (all w/ the same problem)
  • (this might hopefully give some tech-wiz a clue) plugged in the original 2TB (WD20EURS) and one 3TB (WD30EZRX) and it started to format the 3TB to 100%, confirmed process success but it did not re-start the NAS. On manually re-starting the NAS via webUI, the NAS requested formatting the "new drive", 3TB (WD30EZRX). This is an infinity loop, so I quit after three attempts.

After that (13-16 july), I called D-Link support in Sweden and ended up talking to the Senior Tech Adviser for an hour. He suggested to return the NAS to the store, as it to him sounded as a factory fault. Returned the NAS and got a new one. And it's back to square one (now running on 14th hour formatting 0%).

I think D-Link needs to revise their "compability list" and remove WD 3TB (WD30EZRX). I got €350 in the toilet due to a useless NAS and stretchstrong's topic as proof of that.

Anyone?
 :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:17:36 AM by WolfmanStoneback »

stretchstrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »

Yeah my problem was a faulty drive. I had it replaced and it formatted fine in the DNS. But my drive didn't even work in a PC, so there must be something else wrong with your setup.