• April 23, 2024, 07:03:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What's up with the directory structure?  (Read 1260 times)

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
What's up with the directory structure?
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:31:35 AM »

Here is my situation:

I have a series of folders on my PC. To keep it simple, I have a Cogsman Music, Cogsman Video, and Cogsman Pics.

Under each folder, I have subfolders:

Cogsman Pics
-Europe
-Family
-Friends

etc. You get the idea.

I copied these files over to the 320L. The directory structure of these files and folders on the 320L is the same as described.

I cannot see any of these files on my PS3 unless I create shares (that is correct, right?). So I created a share for Pics, where I selected the top level - Cogsman Pics.

After the volume is built, I go to my PS3 and I use the media bar to access photos. I select the 320L. I look for pics, and they are ALL JUST DUMPED into one massive directory.

There is an option to view Folders but when I click on it I get the message that no items exist.

I have created a share for my music and my movies, and it's the same result. Obviously if I can't sort my media files, this is useless.

SO... is there a trick to this or am I going to have to buy another NAS like the Seagate GoFlex which preserves the directory structure? Because between the inability to access the 320L on Win 10 plus the inability to keep my 25000+ pictures organized when viewing on a media device, I'm very frustrated.

Adryanss

• Level 1 Member
Re: What's up with the directory structure?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »

I never tried from PS3, but had no problems under windows ou web browser...
I dont have ps3 here to test it for you, unafortunately.

cogsman

• Level 1 Member
Re: What's up with the directory structure?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:04:44 AM »

Thanks Adryanss,

It works in the web browser for me too, but I have a PS3, XBOX360, and 4 android devices that I would use to digest media. If I can't find them easily (25000+ pictures for example) then it's useless to me.

Yes, it is a backup drive, but it's also supposed to be a media server.

Just not understanding why the GoFlex is showing the folder structure but the DLink is not.