• March 28, 2024, 05:05:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Eternal synchronisation problem solved?  (Read 6994 times)

franz47

• Level 1 Member
Eternal synchronisation problem solved?
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »

FW 1.08 2x1,5 GB Samsung Eco Green F2, RAID1

As I could see from other members - there seems to be a problem with the syncing - sometimes it just does never stop.

I have this problem the second time now. The first time when still playing around with it after buying it, I ended up with the DNS-323 never ending syncing. I wiped out the partitions in my destop and reformatted. Then it worked again. I did not have any data on it yet then.

After working for some while without problem I see the left HDD LED glowing blue without blinking. The right HDD blinks. Log says HDD2 failure. Scan says no problem. Manual rebuild started. Thereafter sync time is indicated between 240 and sometimes about 160000 minutes. Data are still there. I can access them from my Windows desktop. The HDD LEDs are both blinking permanently.

Is there any solution for that apparently quite usual problem? Unfortunately the free return month has passed already (I should have returned it after the first eternal syncing) so I have to try to find a solution. The only solution I see now is backup to still another third harddisk and then rebuilding the NAS completely from scratch. Maybe I will rebuild it into a two separate HDD system then instead of RAID1. RAID1 on this device seems to be more a threat to my data than more security. Manual cloning one disk to the other will probably be safer.

Has anybody found a solution without rebuilding the whole stuff??

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Eternal synchronisation problem solved?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

The sync time goes up DRAMATICALLY if you try and access the NAS while it is resyncing.

Is it the same drive that showed as failed? I doubt this is a NAS issue, but sounds like you have a disk issue. Assuming you can run diagnostics on the drive (in your PC), then I suspect the manufacturer will warranty the drives.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

franz47

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

I will take out the disk and allow 24 hours for checking the whole surface with the Samsung utility. Everything else except the complete surface test was ok when I checked it in my desktop with the Samsung utility. Only drawback is that the program starts from a boot CD, so the desktop will not be available for the checking time. 1,5 TB takes quite a long time. I will be gone at work for about 25 hours so hopefully that will be enough time.

franz47

• Level 1 Member
Re: Eternal synchronisation problem = faulty HDD
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:11:48 AM »

The disk does have a problem!
After having the whole disk checked by Samsung´s ESTOOL in my desktop overnight, the program reported severa LBA xxxxxxxxx errors and suggested to contact my dealer or Samsung service. So the support suggestion was correct and the eternal idling was caused by problems on the almost brand new disk. I returned it to the dealer who wants to check it himself again, so I am running with one disk only and just making a backup of the data to another NAS..
Franz47

franz47

• Level 1 Member
Re: Eternal synchronisation problem solved? - no!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »

The dealer checked the disk, too, found it guilty, too. Today I received a new disk and thought everything will be fine now. Put it in, first problem was, that I could not check the box to configure it as RAID1 on the first screen. Somehow the system then made a JBOD Volume_2 out of the disk, the first one remained RAID1 Volume_1. I took it out again, removed the partitions in my desktop PC. I configured the NAS for automatic rebuild and then put the new disk into the NAS again. Now it is synchronizing again. Again the estimated sync time goes up and down, it does not steadily go down as I would expect. I will let it work over night but after about 4 hours I am not very optimistic any more.

Shouldn´t it be enough to put in the new unformatted drive and the NAS should do all the rebuilding and resyncing without much input of the user?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

That's how it's supposed to work.  When I tested this capability, it worked for me, took some time...
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:31 PM »

Did you check the tensing drive and the new drive too :)
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »

If you're talking to me, all the drives I used had the disk manufacturer low level full diagnostic run on them before going into the box.  After reading the forum, I figured that was a good move just to make sure the disks weren't an issue. :)

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »

I have a new drive on the way and might do just that. Problem is I don't have a PC anymore. Would running the full SMART test on the drive in the 323 be just as good? By the time it has checked 2TB the drive will probably be worn out!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »

I don't have a clue how good the SMART test is, I just stick them into a drive cradle on my main system and fire up the test. :)

franz47

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »

Did you check the tensing drive and the new drive too :)

No, I did check only the drive which was accused by the log to be faulty - HDD2 - and I hope I took the correct drive, at least the Samsung ESTOOL utility found a lot of LBA XXXXXXXXX errors on it.

After getting a new answer by the support to my question - which one is drive HDD2 - after assuming that socket HDD0connects to HDD1 and socket HDD1 hold HDD2 - the answer was - HDD1 was the one put into the system first and drive HDD2 the one put thereafter. As much as I remember, I put both new disks into the cold system and started with both disks to build it up.

Running the full test on a 1,5 TB takes a night on my desktop an another night on the second drive. When the test is running from the CD, the desktop is not available >:(

But apparently that is what I should do. At the moment I am backing up about 325 GB to a disk in my desktop. That will probably also take one night. Th least the PC is available then. The I will take out the new disk, delete the partitions from it. Then I will have the other disk still in the DNS-323 scanned by the inbuilt utility. Maybe then I will check it in the desktop, too.

I wonder why Samsung does not have a utility to run the complete surface test from Windows.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »

I don't have a clue how good the SMART test is, I just stick them into a drive cradle on my main system and fire up the test. :)

FWIW I believe that the "Manufacturer's diagnostics" just run the various built in SMART drive tests. So running the short/long SMART tests on the drive in the DNS-323 should be the same as running the diagnostics program.