• April 16, 2024, 03:06:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: My new desktop cannot log on to my wireless server  (Read 4313 times)

MissRaccoon

• Level 1 Member
My new desktop cannot log on to my wireless server
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »

I really need your help.  MY desktop can access any non secured wireless server but I cannot log on to my own wireless server .My laptop can ..(it is the main computer).. I am using windows Xp for both and the encryption security is the WEP.. I even changed my password and my laptop is working flawless with the new password and  accepted it!!! But I cannot access my wireless server with any other computer.. why is that ?? Do I have to configure the server otherwise?? Should I use another security encryption? Please, I don't see what is the problem .. My router is used as a bridge with my modem

Thanks for any support

:-\

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:45:29 AM by MissRaccoon »

DirtyDawg

• Level 2 Member
Re: My new desktop cannot log on to my wireless server
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »

"but I cannot log on to my own wireless server"

What exactly do you mean by that?  Do you mean you cannot access the routers web access/setup page?  Or are you speaking of internet access?  Well, I guess either way you would still need to set up your LAN information for your ethernet card on the machine in question.  You know what I'm saying?  In other words, you have to set up the system for your specific home LAN, assuming that you have set up security on it.  I would go back to the basics and make sure that ALL of your systems are set up the same way in regards to the NAME of your home network (they must be the same), the security key...etc...etc.  Also, I've found in the past when I've had difficulty connecting all of the system on my LAN, that if you "Enable" SSID Broadcasting, at least temporarily until you get connected, they often times had an easier time connecting.  Afterwards you can disable the broadcast of SSID so everyone in your neighborhood won't see it.  Is there any type of errors that you get?
DIR-655-Hardware A4-Firmware 1.21

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »

If WLAN partition is checked wireless devices cannot see eachother. And be more clear on how your network is set up. I cannot tell from here what connections are wired or wireless. So an overview of your  LAN would be helpful.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

MissRaccoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »

Sorry for the lame explanation I mean that I cannot log on to my own wireless network. I enter the WEP key and I know the password is ok ...It says wrong password or cannot access to the network..something in my configuration blocks my wireless access , even when I am using the right password:-(   I haven't configured it to support WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) ..so it is not protected wi-Fi set up..  

Any help would be appreciated!

MissRaccoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »

I have noticed that the MAC Address Filter is ON and it allows a list of only 2 computers to access the network ... Should I set the filter off?? Or add manually the mac address of the new computer??

Thanks!!!  :'(

KevTech

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »

Whether or not to have the filter on is personal preference.
If you want to leave the filter on then yes you would need to add the computer to the allowed list.

DirtyDawg

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

I have noticed that the MAC Address Filter is ON and it allows a list of only 2 computers to access the network ... Should I set the filter off?? Or add manually the mac address of the new computer??

Thanks!!!  :'(

I personally would disable that function, but you may want to ask the person that set up the router.  :)  It doesn't sound like you were the one that did it.  As long as you have wep set up (I would use the 128bit setting), and you're not broadcasting SSID (I believe it's called "Visible" or "Invisible" in the settings rather than broadcasting), then you shouldn't have to worry about leaving MAC filtering on and tediously putting in all of those mac addresses.  Just my opinion though. :)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:35:27 AM by DirtyDawg »
DIR-655-Hardware A4-Firmware 1.21

MissRaccoon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »

Thanks a lot for all your answers!! I really appreciate. I will try to change a little the configuration

J