• April 25, 2024, 09:04:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Still no MKV stream after 1.08 firmware update  (Read 15449 times)

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
Re: Still no MKV stream after 1.08 firmware update
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »

I have streamed mkv no problem.
Until yesterday I was running v1.07 with an advanced format drive.
I have yet to try my new drive with firmware 1.09.
I'll let you know after I do.

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 07:04:50 PM »

Yep, stream MKV no problem.
v1.09

madal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »

What file system are you using? I am using ext3 mirrored drives (2TBx2)

Just to clarify, I am able to stream MKV files, just the time lag in loading the file over the network is annoying. A 1gig file takes 30 seconds to start playing, a 4.5gig file takes about 1min 15sec to start playing. There is no time lag at all when one Windows XP box serves an MKV to an other Win-XP computer.

All other files (avi, mp4, wmv, mpeg  etc.) being served-out of the DNS-323 load instantly over network.
Only MKV-files exibit a time lag.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »

As the creator of this thread, I really need to clarify:

The thread title is a bit misleading.

DNS-323 is fully capable of serving MKV files through SAMBA. That is, you can playback MKV files from your computer without any problems. As far as I know, this applies to firmware versions greater than or equal to 1.07.

The MKV streaming problem exists only as far as the UPnP AV Server is concerned. In other words, the DNS-323 will not serve MKV files to your tv box, for example. As posted in this thread, a simple solution is to rename your .MKV files to .MP4.

Apart from that, I believe there is no other playback problem with MKV files stored in the NAS and accessed by a PC via a mapped drive, a network share etc.

Miklos

• Level 1 Member
    • Microsux
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:33 AM »

Firmware 1.10 which is in testing phase right now according to Dlink will implement full DLNA 1.5 support.

Maybe that will fix the problem?

Edit: http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=3 / http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6311

Dlink actually replies there, go figure.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:25:04 AM by Miklos »

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:16 AM »

Firmware 1.10 which is in testing phase right now according to Dlink will implement full DLNA 1.5 support.

Maybe that will fix the problem?

Edit: http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=3 / http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6311

Dlink actually replies there, go figure.

Wonderful news. Most welcomed!  :) :D ;D 8)

Jester5000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »

Thanks for the clarification McPillager.  I also was referring to the built in uPnP media server not being able to stream to TV, BD Player, whatever.  Accessing the files from a PC is non-issue.

Looking forward to seeing what's really fixed and what's broken in the new release :-\

btw, is the EU version of the DNS-323 any different than the North American version? (other than PAL/NTSC)

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »

Thanks for the clarification McPillager.  I also was referring to the built in uPnP media server not being able to stream to TV, BD Player, whatever.  Accessing the files from a PC is non-issue.

Looking forward to seeing what's really fixed and what's broken in the new release :-\

btw, is the EU version of the DNS-323 any different than the North American version? (other than PAL/NTSC)

I live in EU and I've always used the North American firmware versions so far without any problems.

madal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone, perhaps I was to quick to blame the NAS. The DNS-323 is a new addition to my network. Maybe some software or codec updates are in order.

Thanks

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »

As the creator of this thread, I really need to clarify:
The MKV streaming problem exists only as far as the UPnP AV Server is concerned. In other words, the DNS-323 will not serve MKV files to your tv box, for example. As posted in this thread, a simple solution is to rename your .MKV files to .MP4.

Apart from that, I believe there is no other playback problem with MKV files stored in the NAS and accessed by a PC via a mapped drive, a network share etc.
my wdtv live plays .mkv files just fine over the network from dns-323 (1.08), both with built in upnp and twonky media servers. yes, it takes 10-20 seconds to get started (especially with 1080p movies), but i have not found any correlation to file size. couple of minutes long loony tunes 1080p clip  (<300 MB) loads just about the same as 1080p 9+ GB full length movie..

Jester5000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »

Assuming your video files reside on the 323, are you connecting to it from wdtv via uPnP or SMB? (of NFS).  I'm willing to bet it's not uPnP. :)

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »

Assuming your video files reside on the 323, are you connecting to it from wdtv via uPnP or SMB? (of NFS).  I'm willing to bet it's not uPnP. :)
yes, they are on 323.
no, i'm not mounting shares, not samba, not nfs. nfs is not even enabled. i use built in upnp media server and i installed twonky again to compare the two. (twonky seems to be winning btw.)
Pages: 1 [2]