• March 28, 2024, 05:18:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: new 510 with issues  (Read 17762 times)

smurph

• Level 1 Member
new 510 with issues
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »

I have just got & set-up a DSM-510, and have some questions / issues.
I am using it wirelessly with Tiversity, and have it successfully connected to PC.
1. During music playback sound quality is poor, and sound ceases near song end for period until next song which starts ok. Strangely sound is better when d-link volume is down and TV is up - but this is terrible when reverting back to std. TV.
2. During video playback, after several minutes (varies), playback ceases and I am told "Communication Error - No response from the server".

Any ideas on either issue?

Also, when playing an item, and then look thru files, is there a quick key to get back to the playing item, as I can't detect on remote or in manual?
What is best media software.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: new 510 with issues
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »

Do you experience the video playback issue using a wired connection?  I'm thinking you may have a buffer under-run issue.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

smurph

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

I haven't tried a wired connection, and was hoping not to.
How could I fix "a buffer under-run issue"?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »

I haven't tried a wired connection, and was hoping not to.
How could I fix "a buffer under-run issue"?

The demands of high resolution video may be too much for your wireless connection to handle -- i.e. the wireless connection may not be able to push data to the 510 fast enough to keep up with demand, resulting in a choppy picture or lost communication.

Try the wired connection to rule out any other cause.

smurph

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »

Thanks, will do although that may take some time.
Note: its happening with mp3s!!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

Thanks, will do although that may take some time.
Note: its happening with mp3s!!

With mp3s?  mp3s shouldn't be an issue.  Again, you should test the wired connection to rule out other things.

As a follow-up to my last post. . . I use another brand of media player with an optional wireless connection and experienced similar problems (as did many other users of the same model) which varied depending on the throughput (i.e. resolution) of the video files.  I ultimately bit the bullet and reverted to a wired connection and haven't had any problems since.

smurph

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »

Understood, I also have another brand of media streamer, that is wired into a TV near my PC, but the one I am now trying to use there is no cable connection available, hence wireless.
I'm guessing that these things, although we are told they stream wirelessly, only do basic files/resolutions?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:30:32 PM by smurph »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

Understood, I also have another brand of media streamer, that is wired into a V near my PC, but the one I am now trying to use there is no cable connection available, hence wireless.
I'm guessing that these things, although we are told they stream wirelessly, only do basic files/resolutions?

It depends on your network, signal strength, and how the video is encoded.  The higher the resolution, the greater the demand on the network to feed data fast enough to keep up with the picture.  If the demand is too high, the video stutters or stops altogether.  My Netgear EVA8000 is designed for wireless playback, but chokes on any video of HD quality, so I installed a permanent wired connection to solve the problem.  I never had an issue with mp3s though. 

smurph

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »

I meant to update this a while back....I don't really think these products (and I mean more than one brand) work wirelessly well enough, especially mine 6' away through a simple wooden floor, so luckily i got powerline / ethernet adaptors, and both now work fine.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »

I meant to update this a while back....I don't really think these products (and I mean more than one brand) work wirelessly well enough, especially mine 6' away through a simple wooden floor, so luckily i got powerline / ethernet adaptors, and both now work fine.

I agree 100%.  Personally, I haven't heard of any products where wireless worked reliably with high quality video.  These devices only work well with a wired connection.