• April 25, 2024, 10:25:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Telnet to device and manual setting of link speed  (Read 4740 times)

rod.fuller

• Level 1 Member
Telnet to device and manual setting of link speed
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »

We have many of these D-Link firewalls including DFL300's (3), DFL200's (3), DFL210's (2), DFL700's (3), DFL800's (2).

Two questions:
1) Can you telnet to the device (specifically the 2X0's and 700's)?
2) Is there a way to set the link speed of the interfaces?

We are having an issue with a couple of sites losing their VPN connection several times a day. Our ISP is suggesting to set the interface to 100Mb full duplex instead of letting it auto negotiate.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Telnet to device and manual setting of link speed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »

You have 3 generations of firewalls, only 1 of which is even supported any more.

From oldest to newest D-Link's firewalls come in the following generations.

DFL-80 and DFL-300

DFL-200, DFL-700, and DFL 1100

NetDefend Firewalls - DFL-210, DFL-260, DFL-800, DFL-860, DFL-1600, and DFL-2500

Please see support.dlink.com for resources on your older firewalls, I won't have much info on them personally any more.

You can SSH into your NetDefend Firewalls, simply create an SSH remote management object.

You can set the link speed on the NetDefend Firewalls via the Interfaces->Ethernet->Hardware (tab) menu.

Do not ever lock down Ethernet link speed on one side of a link and not the other if you intend to use full duplex.  A Ethernet device that fails autonegotiation will fall back into half duplex, therefore locking down only one side to full duplex will result in a duplex mismatch.
non progredi est regredi

rod.fuller

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »

Don't get me started about support. As far as I'm concerned it's non-existent at D-Link. When we purchased our first DFL 700 back in Dec 2005 we spent hours and hours on the phone and passed untold e-mails back and forth through Jan of 2006 with a tech support agent. They never could help us get the unit to function right and eventually just quit returning our phone calls and e-mails. (It is now relegated to outbound access only for a secondary connection.) I realize now that the unit was defective because we have since had no problems with other DFL700's but the torture D-Link put us through for that unit almost made me dump their products for our company. But we had too much invested and in general no problems. We use a consulting firm when we have problems we can't handle with the units, although they keep trying to convince us to dump the units also.

And, BTW, the option to set the interface link speed is only available on the 800's.

*** Modified by Fatman because a D-Link TS agent was referenced by name.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:19:15 AM by Fatman »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »

I am sorry you have had difficulties, it might be worth noting that your experience is a couple of years old, you might try calling our modern support and see how the landscape has changed.  If you had a recent case ID and an experience like that PMing it to me would allow me to take some more specific actions.

Additionally you have a PM inbound concerning that case.

In the future lets avoid having any TS agents names published publicly.

Also, you can lock down the port speed on the DFL-210, just not the interface which is connected via an unmanaged internal switch (the LAN).  The same applies to the DFL-800.
non progredi est regredi