• April 23, 2024, 10:30:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What is the official release date of 1.06 ??  (Read 62746 times)

Tilly

• Level 1 Member
Re: What is the official release date of 1.06 ??
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Tilly - all I said was I'd never seen it before.

No problem fordem - but please open yourīe eyes before you write things you did before!

Tilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »

Now this is really a storm in a tea cup, because it no way changes the point I was making, quite simply that the fact that a firmware with the word beta in the name is available should not be considered to mean that the firmware has been released.

A beta version is exactly that - a beta (or test version) and not a final release.

Hi Fordem

When there is a new D-Link firmware offen D-Link named this in the file with "beta". But when D-Link is released this same version D-Link is cut off "beta" from the filename.

You get it now?

jswashburn

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

throughout history as drive reach new limits BIOS's or opperating systems had to catch up to be able to deal with them. i believe there use to be a 32GB or 64GB (can't exactly remember) max partition size in Win95or 98. if your drive was bigger, then you had to have multiple partitions to deal with this.

True. But but the DNS-323 uses SATA drives which should at least be addressed in 48bit LBA. In theory, the device should be able to access drives up to 128 Petabytes in size.

Being that EXT2 file system is limited to a 32 Terabyte volume size, the limitation here is software and not LBA addressing.

So the real million dollar question is this. Why does the DNS-323 have such trouble mounting large SATA drives? Is it a bug in the firmware, or a hardware limitation of the chipset it uses?

vachtel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »

are you saying that 1.5TB won't work with the DNS 323 fw?
i'm not able to see the size of the 2 1.5TB disks when i'm trying to set the DNS to RAID 1 (the value in the table is "0" for each hard disk) :-( (after pressing on the "set RAID Type and re-format" button .

please advice?
will 1.06 solve this issue?????? when is it coming out?
does it mean that i cant use DNS-323 with my 2 1.5B hard disks? i dont want to serial them and then to RAID 1 them (thats mean i'll need to format it again....

Heeeelp help
Guy

espiritu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 09:09:04 PM »

does it mean that i cant use DNS-323 with my 2 1.5B hard disks? i dont want to serial them and then to RAID 1 them (thats mean i'll need to format it again....

Heeeelp help
Guy

just do as i have done, install and use only one drive to begin with(because when you are done setting up the RAID you will still only have 1.5tb)

when you install the second drive only it will be formatted and the RAID will be configured

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:55 PM »

are you saying that 1.5TB won't work with the DNS 323 fw?
i'm not able to see the size of the 2 1.5TB disks when i'm trying to set the DNS to RAID 1 (the value in the table is "0" for each hard disk) :-( (after pressing on the "set RAID Type and re-format" button .

please advice?
will 1.06 solve this issue?????? when is it coming out?

Heeeelp help
Guy

Guy,
I have a DNS-323 and DNS-321.  Last night I tried installing two seagate 1.5T drives in my dns-321.  The 321 reported the drives as having a size of "0" for both in a raid 1 configuration.  I upgraded my firmware to 1.01 and now I'm running dual seagate 1.5T on my dns-321.  So you (and I) have to wait for the firmware update for the dns-323 to get the 1.5T drives working in RAID 1.  It's working great on the dns-321 (knock on wood).
Gary

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »

If the word beta was a part of the file name wouldn't that tell you something?  Perhaps that it's not a final release and so it's "released already"?

Now - this is just my opinion - but I've never seen D-Link release a firmware with the word beta in the name (even a beta release) so I'm guessing the website you saw it on was not a D-Link site.

Yeah, it tells me 1.6 Beta was released.  I know you're not trying to be smart, but it came off that way.  Yes, 1.6 is out there, but it's beta.  I never said it wasn't :).

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »

Hi Fordem

When there is a new D-Link firmware offen D-Link named this in the file with "beta". But when D-Link is released this same version D-Link is cut off "beta" from the filename.

You get it now?

Tilly

Let's just say that not all D-Link beta code includes the word beta in the file name and leave it at that.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »

Yeah, it tells me 1.6 Beta was released.  I know you're not trying to be smart, but it came off that way.  Yes, 1.6 is out there, but it's beta.  I never said it wasn't :).

Gary - to me if it's out in beta - it's not yet released, it's still being tested - when testing is complete, only then will it be released - it's that simple.

There are several 1.06 builds available to beta testers, some of which have been leaked, at some point one of these builds (or maybe one not yet completed) will be considered final and released, but until the time that happens 1.06 should not be considered "released".

Tilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »

Tilly

Let's just say that not all D-Link beta code includes the word beta in the file name and leave it at that.

Fordem

In the other way also D-Link released to their customers until today a lot of firmwares in whose filenames no "beta" contained. So these firmwares should not be beta versions. But because too many previous D-Link firmwares are filled with o lot of bugs that they are never be tested professionally. Those are still beta versions.

Tilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »

Gary - to me if it's out in beta - it's not yet released, it's still being tested - when testing is complete, only then will it be released - it's that simple.

There are several 1.06 builds available to beta testers, some of which have been leaked, at some point one of these builds (or maybe one not yet completed) will be considered final and released, but until the time that happens 1.06 should not be considered "released".

Fordem

When itīs so simple for you, than my questions:

For Netherland D-Link released until tody for their Netherland customer the old buggy version 1.02b114.

Latest upgrades: 1.02b114
http://www.dlink.nl/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYIe5XTNvhLPG3yV3oV412galtbNlwaaRp7ytsRWm5kC9PiO52eLCGv9yUQC5gx5/IbIC0H9q/8zMK

In UK D-Link released until today for their UK customer the version 1.05.

Latest upgrades: 1.05
http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVdDbgYU93ygJVYLelXSNvhLPG3yV3oV415g6ltbNlwaaRp7jksEz2onGQTo48EE5+3n/K9K0MQs/yZPsXnQNexqmNU0dsPTbhHNpfFqQfX/iaAfZWqa6gw7k4pr54S7CoTft2giSykx3YFsmbbcGUQCHErnwHl11qiNI5DcdhLLv4n1cvw

Is than (for you) the version 1.05 from UK for the Netherland DNS-323 owner a beta version because D-Link doesnīt released yet the version 1.05 in Netherland?

What is the different between a Dutch and a UK DNS-323 owner without their country languages?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:37:36 AM by Tilly »

boxst

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »

There appears to be a beta of 1.06 here:  http://www.station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm.

I've installed it and everything is fine.

Steve

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »

Fordem

When itīs so simple for you, than my questions:

Tilly

Perhaps we need to define what beta software is ...

Here's what Wikipedia has to say.

The difference between beta code and final code is that the manufacturer of the particular code states that one is beta and the other is not, and a particular piece of code can be deemed beta on a particular day, and then deemed a final release on a later day with absolutely no changes to the code itself.

In a nutshell, D-Link is going to be the one who decides if a particular piece of code is a beta test version and at some point when a particular piece of code passes it's quality assurance testing, it will be released as a final version.

To answer your question - if D-Link in the Netherlands chooses not to release one or more versions on the firmware for whatever reason and those versions have been released for use in other countries, it does not make those final versions, beta versions for the Netherlands - however, if D-Link in the Netherlands chooses to call one of them a beta and release it for testing, at that point it will become a beta version for the Netherlands.

Is this likely to happen?  I doubt it, but, that's just my guess.

Unless I am mistaken D-Link in the Netherlands would probably consider anything later than what has been released on their support site as an unsupported versions, as I believe you already know.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »

Fordem

In the other way also D-Link released to their customers until today a lot of firmwares in whose filenames no "beta" contained. So these firmwares should not be beta versions. But because too many previous D-Link firmwares are filled with o lot of bugs that they are never be tested professionally. Those are still beta versions.

See my previous reply for a definition of beta - you're free to call it what you want - but strictly speaking only D-Link can define whether a particular piece of code is beta - bugs or no bugs, it is the manufacturer's decision to release it.

By the way - consider this my final answer.

Tilly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »

There appears to be a beta of 1.06 here:  http://www.station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm.

I've installed it and everything is fine.

Steve

Even if there itīs not the version 1.06b56, so I am pleased for you as for many others as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7