• April 18, 2024, 06:59:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Loss of Server  (Read 3657 times)

Sluggo

• Level 1 Member
Loss of Server
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:35:01 AM »

I am having a time trying to get my DSM-520 to stay connected to my new Dell Windows Vista Ultimate machine.  If I go to the available servers screen in the 520, you can see every 30 seconds that the 520 cannot find a sever.  The condition lasts for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and then finds all of the available servers again.  This happens if you are connected by hardwire or wireless.  Along with the Vista machine I have an older XP and I also have the DNS-323 set up as a sever.  I have followed the instructions to enable UPnP support and allow Media sharing.  Am currently running Firmware revision 1.05 on the DSM-520 and 1.09 on the media Lounge software.  Also have tried using Windows Media Player 11, Active-TV and windows media center as the server.  The results are the same.  No matter if there are several servers in the list or just one, the 520 will report no servers available every 30 seconds.  I'm sure it's someting I've overlooked, but could use some help.

Thanks

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Re: Loss of Server
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »

I have noticed a couple of posts in regard to DSM 520 lossing the server. I do not have this problem with the DSM520. Are you using DHCP to obtain an IP address? If you are, change the IP address to a static IP address (if you do not know how to do this send an email to D-Link technical support they should be able to help).

I am using a static IP on my DSM 520 and it never drops the connection to the server. Because of the troubles I have had using DHCP in the past I use a static IP address on all of my networks, which by the way all use D-Link hardware, and I have absolutely no connection problems.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Loss of Server
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »

I would recommend setting a static IP address to the DSM-520 and your DNS-323.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream