• March 18, 2024, 08:53:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NEW 850L SETUP - NO CONNECTION  (Read 4626 times)

triple_u

• Level 1 Member
NEW 850L SETUP - NO CONNECTION
« on: May 07, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

I bought a new dlink-850l and set it up without problems, then run the wizard to set it as a Dynamic IP. Everything was established but the network found no connection. The wifi networks were there but when connected they had no internet. Then I realized that I used to run Static IP and probably my provider doesn't support Dynamic, so I changed it and typed the addresses as it follows. Again no connection. Restarted everything and still nothing. Then my dad came and tried his part but we decided to factory reset the router and run everything without changing names or passwords. Still no connection. So how do we get connected after we set the router up seemingly correctly and everything we did was following the manual? Could the problem come from the network provider( I am changing routers for the first time so I am clueless whether providers have any policy to change IPs or any information for different routers)?
EDIT: I am unaware how to check if I run the latest firmware but whether I do or not I won't be able to update it since I don't have any connection.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:37:08 PM by triple_u »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: NEW 850L SETUP - NO CONNECTION
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »

Did you use the settings from the old router? Or is it broke?

triple_u

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »

When setting it up as Static IP I used the addresses from the old router.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »

I would try putting the old router back in, get that to work, and then connect the new router to that.  See if it at least connects to the internet through your old router?

To answer your earlier question - you only need to contact your ISP when changing the cable modem. 

Do you have revision A or B?

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-850L

And FurryNutz is going to ask you about what cable modem you are attached to, and where are you located? USA? else where in the world?

triple_u

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:21 AM »

I would try putting the old router back in, get that to work, and then connect the new router to that.  See if it at least connects to the internet through your old router?

To answer your earlier question - you only need to contact your ISP when changing the cable modem. 

And FurryNutz is going to ask you about what cable modem you are attached to, and where are you located? USA? else where in the world?

Mind my ignorance here I think I really would embarrass myself with this question - but does the 850l need a modem to run? I don't have a modem... although I saw that there were instructions for one. Also, I connected the old router everything is as it was, wifi as well. My old router is modemless...
EDIT: Forgot to mention I am from Eastern Europe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:32:45 AM by triple_u »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »

Mind my ignorance here I think I really would embarrass myself with this question - but does the 850l need a modem to run? I don't have a modem... although I saw that there were instructions for one. Also, I connected the old router everything is as it was, wifi as well. My old router is modemless...
EDIT: Forgot to mention I am from Eastern Europe.

I think I understand.

Can you explain the old setup?  What is your old router name/model?  You say it is modemless? You mean it doesn't have a modem?  It's an all in 1 (modem/router)? 

Page 2 of the user manual 'minimum requirements' -- an ethernet based broadband modem.
Page 8 of the user manual has a graphic showing how to use with the 'cable modem'.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

If no modem, is the internet provided by a walk outlet?

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.