• March 28, 2024, 06:24:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-2230 problem viewing camera over internet  (Read 8127 times)

realdeal

• Level 1 Member
DCS-2230 problem viewing camera over internet
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »

Hello All,

I have two dlink ip cameras.  I have a DCS-932L and a recently purchased DCS-2230.

I am having a problem viewing the DCS-2230 externally over the internet.  I have tried most of the obvious stuff.

I have a BT Home Hub 3 and a Windows Homeserver.  I have the DCS-932L configured to use port 81.  I have port forwarded port 81 to DCS-932L in the HH3 and have no problems viewing the cameras homepage over the internet.  So all good.

But - I have problem viewing the DCS-2230 externally.  I have tried to set it up on a number of different ports and have done the relevant port forwarding.  I am able to access the camera on the internal network - But - I get no response when trying to access the camera externally over the internet.  fyi - I use a Citrix connection to my work to access the internet "externally" to test the camera when I am at home (as I know that HH3 have problems with NAT Loopback).  Ideally - I would like to test the camera on port 81 - but the camera only works on port 80 or in the range 1024 to 69953 (or something like that).  I have used port checking tools to check that the relevant port is open.  The tools show that the port is "open and accepting connections. This indicates the port is not being blocked by either a firewall or your ISP and is currently operational."

I think the problem may be router or Windows Home Server related.  I have tried to check that the DCS-932L on different ports.  However,  I cannot get it to respond on different ports.  Am I missing something....?

I would be interested to know your thoughts.

slickster

• Level 2 Member
Re: DCS-2230 problem viewing camera over internet
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

Why do you say "the camera only works on port 80 or in the range of 1024 to 69953"? I have mine set to 8080. Also, have you tried setting it up on port 81 and switching your DCS-932L to something else? I'm thinking it might be some simple error (like a typo), and since you have the other camera working on 81, you would just need to change the ip address to which the port is forwarded.

I've downloaded the DCS-2210/2230 manual and based on that, I agree that the OP should be able to use several other HTTP ports besides the default 80. On the other hand, I disagree with you that he could use  port 81 on both cams as long as he changes the IP address. First, he likely has only a single external IP address, so the only way the system could know which camera to direct an outside viewing client is by assigning unique ports to each and then set port forwarding in the router to the internal LAN address of the requested camera. But even if the viewer client is internally on the same LAN, the port would have to be specified, such as 192.168.0.180:81, because otherwise the default 80 port would be assumed. I think the OP has some conflict with either the HTTP port assignments, or the RTSP port assignment whose default is 554. He needs to redirect a unique RTSP port to each camera with port forwarding. He could use 1554 for alternate RTSP port, for instance.

Quote from: caseydoug
Also, have you looked at the logs? You might check both your router logs and the camera logs.

Do both cameras use the same wireless AP? Maybe the problem is getting through that -- try a wired connection to see whether that will work.

Good point. I think one should always do the initial configuration with wired connection, for security reasons, if for nothing else.

BTW, Casey, does the 2230 have some kind of focusing mechanism? The picture of the cam would suggest  a serious lens assembly that might lend itself to that but the manual does not mention it as far as I could tell.

realdeal

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-2230 problem viewing camera over internet
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:24:48 AM »

Guys thanks for your help on this.  I now have both cameras working perfectly.  I am able to view both cameras externally.  I have the 932l on port 81 and the 2230 on port 1025.fyi -  I am using the dlink dns service on my router.  I seemed to have problems accessing the camera from work when not using port 81.  However, i am now using a completely different internet connection and i have no problems at all.  I was unable to test at home fully because my router does not support nat loopback.  Fyi - i am using a nice apple app. LiveCams Pro to view my cameras on ipad and iphone.