• April 24, 2024, 06:09:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recovering from bad drive - re-establish RAID?  (Read 4412 times)

mf70

• Level 1 Member
Recovering from bad drive - re-establish RAID?
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »

OK, go ahead and laugh...

I have a DNS 323 -b build, running v 1.05 firmware, set up as RAID1. With a persistent "tok" sound from the right Drive, I went and bought the smallest available Seagate SATA drive (2TB). Powered down, inserted drive, and learned that there are new forms of SATA, and that I only could use the new HD if I loaded firmware 1.10.

With assurance from GreenBay42 that there was a Canadian build of V1.10 that would work with build B, I downloaded the firmware.

The mistake I made was pulling both drives before updating the firmware - but that's what I did. The firmware update went well. I inserted the new drive in the right bay and formatted it to 2TB. I then reinserted the original HD in the left bay, BUT the DNS 323 now thinks both drives' volume types are standard, not RAID.

Is there any way I can tell the DNS 323 to mirror my right bay drive to the left?

My thought is to copy the contents of the right bay to another drive on my computer, set up a new RAID1 on the DNS 323 (destroying all data on the NAS), and reload data back into the new RAID.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Recovering from bad drive - re-establish RAID?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:57:26 AM »

Is there any way I can tell the DNS 323 to mirror my right bay drive to the left?
Simple answer  No.  This is one of the problems with a software RAID setup.

Your idea of copying data, making a backup, is good but be safe and use a USB/SATA adapter with external power supply to read the drive.  If you use windows boot from a live Linux DVD to do the copying from the USB mounted NAS drive.

Good luck.

mf70

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:00:36 AM »

Well, the DNS 323 still reads the  left drive, so I'm using it and pulling its information to an outside computer as I type. Aside from hiccups due to Windows Defender blocking a few old .EXE's as virus infected, it's been going pretty well. So far (88%).

I WILL use a SATA adapter to provide a REAL backup for the data in the future, though I'm happy that the RAID1 allowed me to keep the data in the first place when one of the drives went bad.

YaNKee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »

Any ideas how to recover the contents of two drives that were unfortunately due to financial reasons striped as RAID 0 and now the DNS323 doesn't even recognize the drives?  I enabled the SMB1 in Windows 10 like I read in another forum, but when I log into the DNS itself, the drives don't show under the status, but it says something like Drive Size -1 or something stupid. 

I sure hope I have not lost 4 TB of media.  I had the DNS powered off for about 3 - 4 months since I don't access them all that often, and when I powered them up, I find this is the situation.  What a nightmare.