• April 26, 2024, 07:52:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Sync Time Remaining: degraded (F/W 1.02)  (Read 6975 times)

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Sync Time Remaining: degraded (F/W 1.02)
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »

Hi All,

One of my DNS-343 units is now displaying "Sync Time Remaining: degraded".

The OLED indicates that all drives are present and accounted for.  During I/O activity, I have noticed that the 'HDD 3' indicator on the OLED remains solid while the other indicators flicker.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Sync Time Remaining: degraded (F/W 1.02)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:02:54 AM »

Update:

It appears that HDD3 has indeed failed.  I removed the HDD from the DNS-343 and attempted to format it from a workstation - the HDD fails 99% into the format.

I can only assume this must be a rare case where the HDD has a problem that is not detected by the DNS-343 leaving the OLED to display the HDD as online even though it has failed.

In summary, one can assume that an HDD has failed if the Status in the Web Interface displays "Sync Time Remaining: degraded" and one notices that an HDD symbol on the OLED remains solid during heavy I/O.

Cheers,

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

It appear the drives are not able to re-sync. Try Restarting the device and see if they re-sync on startup. If not it may require a format to rebuild the RAID.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

Hi ECF,

Appreciate the response; I had performed the following steps prior to removing the HDD:

- Shutdown, wait, turn on = Degraded
- Restart = Degraded
- Scan Disk = Degraded

Too bad there wasn't a 'Force Synchronization' option.  As per your suggestion, I did indeed have to reformat the RAID5 array as replacing the failed HDD caused the array to fail.  At this stage, I'm not sure if HDD3 caused the problem to begin with or that the DNS-343 (NAS1) is faulty causing the HDD in Slot 3 to fail.

I'm in the process of copying the 1.5 TB of data back onto the DNS-343 (NAS1) from the other DNS-343 (NAS2) ... good thing I purchased two of these "bad boys".  If I encounter the same problem, I may look to RMA the unit.

Cheers,

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

Future firmware will have such an option I believe. This feature is going to be on the next DNS-323 firmware 1.06 already when released.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream