• April 25, 2024, 10:33:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-325 very slow  (Read 5328 times)

carlweathers

• Level 1 Member
DNS-325 very slow
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

I have firmware 1.03 and until the other day very happy with my D-Link DNS-325.

It was pretty speedy and then I'm not sure what happened. All of the sudden, it takes 5 minutes just to rename a folder. My HDD thinking lights (2tb, RAID 1 btw) are constantly on as if it's thinking. I have 68gb space remaining on the drives (maybe I need more????) and recently copied 30gb of pictures over (maybe that caused fragmentation?). Any thoughts would be seriously appreciated. I'm at a loss. I'm accessing the files via Mac OSX Mountain Lion, but it seems very slow from Windows 8 also.

gnet158

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-325 very slow
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »

I'd run a SMART test no your drives.  Sound like their syncing.  Try unplugging the network cable to see if they stop.  If they do then someone's accessing your drives.  Are you streaming anything?

carlweathers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »

Running the SMART test now (Extended) I'll let you know the results. Unfortunately I kicked that off before unplugging from the network, so I'll have to wait to report that as well. Thanks for the ideas, will be back shortly.

carlweathers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »

OK, I ran the SMART test, 0 errors. Unplugged from the network and the HDD's still look like they're under full load.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »

As a test, can you offload a few of the large files you recently added to another location and delete them in the DNS-325.  See if the increased space changes anything. At the very least, this strategy will either validate or eliminate space as the cause.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

carlweathers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »

Great suggestion JavaLawyer. I just deleted over 200gb of data bringing me up to 284.87 GB free out of 2tb RAID1.

Things might be a bit faster but it still seems very slow.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »

Great suggestion JavaLawyer. I just deleted over 200gb of data bringing me up to 284.87 GB free out of 2tb RAID1.

Things might be a bit faster but it still seems very slow.

After removing the files, try rebooting the NAS.  :-\  ???

Also. . . are you running any apps or other services on the DNS-325?  I suggest shutting down all unnecessary services. If performance improves, then you can incrementally turn things back on until you start hitting bottlenecks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:46:33 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC