• March 29, 2024, 05:41:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless issue - connection/network address  (Read 3499 times)

sberb00

• Level 1 Member
Wireless issue - connection/network address
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

I've had the DIR-655 for about 6 months and after a lengthy set-up (technically challenged), it's worked very well.  I have two laptops, VoIP, and gaming system running through it; cable modem; Windows XP.

My computers both have had hard drives replaced in the last week, and now when I went to connect, the WLAN utilities recognize my home network, but does not assign a network address to the laptop.  I ran the diagnostic and it fails at "authentication".  I've tried re-booting the modem and the router without success.

Nothing has changed on my router settings: DHCP-enabled, QoS Active, all other WAN/LAN/Wireless settings look fine when I hard-wire into the router.

Appreciate any advice/feedback on why my laptops are not able to get network address/connect to the Internet . . .

Thanks -

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Wireless issue - connection/network address
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:43 AM »

My computers both have had hard drives replaced in the last week

There has to be more to this. What else happened? Did you reinstall XP  but without the Service Packs?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:43:30 AM »

You are going to have to look at the client config if you are 100 percent sure the router config hasn't changed.

If you are using the DLINK connection client, then I would try to disabled wireless zero first to see. Sometimes WZ0 and 3rd party clients can "fight" for the connection.

As well, you want to make sure you have at least SP2 installed if you have Windows XP.

wiak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

did you try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in Command Prompt?
and what wireless cards do you use?

Twink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »

If you has the HDDs replaced, then possibly the chipset drivers for the mobo are not installed.  Did you check the Device Manager to make sure there are no problems?  rick-click My Computer select Properties select Hardware and Device Manager.  You are looking for yellow circles with '!' in the middle.  If you see any of these you may will need to fix this problem first.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Hi,

Was there some particular reason you had to replace both hard drives at the same time ?  Such as lightning or virus/spyware attack or whatever ?  Power problems can affect stuff all over the place without anything being obvious as to what happened.

I concur with Twink about the chipset drivers not having been installed properly.....

XP thru service pack 2 (as opposed to sp1 or original XP) is almost a mandate of late....SP3 for XP is a bit more debateable it would seem....personally I use it on all my machines...and the updates since SP3 as well....and even IE8....

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA