• April 30, 2024, 04:56:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Mixed volume structure  (Read 4339 times)

sbrbot

• Level 2 Member
Mixed volume structure
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:09:06 AM »

I have two 2TB disks. Should I use Standard volumes, JBOD structure, RAID0 (stripping) or RAID1 (mirroring) disk structure?

RAID0 (stripping) has no sense because of network speed limitations - NAS is primarily network device, and in case of one disk failure you loose everything!!!
RAID1 (mirroring) it is safe, no so big problem problem if one disk fails, you insert new disk and everything is OK again, but you loose 50% of total capacity!
Standard volumes (two independent disks) if one disk fails, other disk is intact - so you can mirror some valuable data from one disk to another on your own
JBOD (concatenated two disks in one volume) - questionable recovery in case of one disk failure

But - what about combination of 1/2 RAID1 + 1/2 JBOD

There's possibility from 2x2TB disks to create RAID1 (mirroring) volume on one half of both disks (2x1TB) and other half create as RAID0 or JBOD volume. That way one can have 1TB for important mirrored data, and the rest 1TB+1TB=2TB for not so important multimedia data.

I'm interested what are your opinions!?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:04:30 AM by sbrbot »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Mixed volume structure
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »

. . . There's possibility from 2x2TB disks to create RAID0 (mirroring) . . .

RAID-1 is a mirror and RAID-0 is a striped single volume spanning both HDDs. Before you make your decision, you may want to read the following sticky post: DNS-320L - Data Backup vs. Redundancy
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

sbrbot

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »

RAID-1 is a mirror and RAID-0 is a striped single volume spanning both HDDs. Before you make your decision, you may want to read the following sticky post: DNS-320L - Data Backup vs. Redundancy

Thanks, sorry, I messed RAID numbers, but corrected them in OP in order not to confuse other readers. Regarding mentioned thread about Data Backup vs Redundancy I can say that I was using Ext2IFS for a while when I wanted to map linux ext2 volume from Windows in multiboot machine but Ext2IFS supports only ext2 and ext3 filesystems (partially). I think that it does not support ext4 filesystem used in 320L.

OK, I know, redundancy is not replacement for data backup, I totally agree.

Finally, the point of this thread is - what about creating mix of mirroring and stripping volumes on two hard drives?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:21:31 AM by sbrbot »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:04 AM »

Sorry, but it looks like I copied the wrong material in the post I referred to you!   :-[
I just updated the sticky post with the correct information: DNS-320L - Data Backup vs. Redundancy

sbrbot

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »

In this post you said there was no "Recycle Bin" but that's not 100% true. In 320L there's option to create "Recycle Bin" for network shares.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

In this post you said there was no "Recycle Bin" but that's not 100% true. In 320L there's option to create "Recycle Bin" for network shares.

The post says that there "is" a recycle bin on newer models:

Excerpt: "On its face, RAID 1 may appear to be a form of data backup since data is mirrored on two physical HDDs. Although RAID 1 mirrors data on two identical volumes, accidental deletion of a file or directory on one Volume will immediately (and permanently) delete the file/directory on the mirrored volume in real time. Newer DNS ShareCenter models contain a "recycle bin" option (which is disabled by default) that will move deleted items to a recycle bin directory. Only after the files are deleted from the recycle bin are the files permanently deleted from the NAS. If this feature is not enabled, accidentally deleted files are perminantly deleted from both mirrored volumes in real time."