• April 19, 2024, 02:09:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: reset button broken - can I short it somehow??  (Read 12982 times)

hondochica

• Level 1 Member
reset button broken - can I short it somehow??
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »

Greetings;

My 655 has been in storage for about 1 year.  I pulled it out the other day and set it up (via TW dsl cable internet) but my tablet was not able to access any webpages except google search.  The router and tablet have connected previously.  So after a couple internet searches I thought maybe I should upgrade the firmware (from 2 to 2.11 - latest/greatest)  THAT was a mistake!  Long story short - the power light is orange (or flashing if I unplug it and then let it sit - it will go solid).  I was trying to do a reset to factory default - and either: a) the reset button was already broken - or b) because it wouldn't reset I may have pushed too hard on the reset button - it's toast!  I opened the case (long past warranty) and the reset 'flange' (??) was lying flat on the board- not standing up - plastic button and small gold disc flopping around the inside. 

Is there anyway to reset the modem 'manually''??  Can I 'short' the reset button somehow - now that I have the top off?

I realize it's probably toast . . .    I guess the word is "bricked"- but it was worth a question.

Thanks in advance

kelly

fzappa

• Level 3 Member
Re: reset button broken - can I short it somehow??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »

Seems you should have come asking for help long before now. When you flashed the firmware everything resets, so the IP and password all go back to factory. Maybe thats why you couldn't access setup.
Have you tried accessing setup as if new out of box? Try that before giving up.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »

Review this please: Link> >FW Update Process

If there is something in side flopping around, you can open the router case easily by taking off the two rubber feet in back that will expose the screws under neath. You can unscrew then gently open the case up and find out whats loose.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »

Have you tried the emergancy reset documented here?

hondochica

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »

@FurryNuts - Uhhh. . .   I already opened the router - and found the plastic "reset button" and a small round, flat, gold disc flopping around - already removed

@Hard Harry   The emergency reset process including the 30/30/30 reset process - which I found elsewhere on the web - all require a functioning reset button.  My reset button is broken!  Can't do that!

@fzappa   Had not thought about that - as the "power light" is orange - I don't think I can get into the access setup - which is why I kept trying to 'reset' the router . .  but I will give it another try . .    Would have come here earlier if I found this site!! ;-))

From what I've read elsewhere on the web (before I found this forum) - if the power light is orange - you have to reset the router to the factory default just to get to an access point.  Which I can't do . . .  but I'll give it another try

Thanks

UPDATE:  Nope - can't get to the router - won't talk to the computer - just says "unable to connect" when I type 192.168.0.1

Kelly
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:45:08 PM by hondochica »

Hard Harry

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »

@Hard Harry   The emergency reset process including the 30/30/30 reset process - which I found elsewhere on the web - all require a functioning reset button.  My reset button is broken!  Can't do that!

::Edit:: Not sure if I didn't read entire OP or you edited. Yea, if reset button is broken and it won't post, you are SOL IMO.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:55:36 PM by Hard Harry »

hondochica

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »

Let's try again and shorten the story . .

My reset button is broken.  I have the router open to access the circuit board.  Can I "reset" the modem via a wire or something by connecting "x" with "y"?

thanks

Kelly

Hard Harry

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »

A button should just be connecting two points, like a switch. You could make contact between those two points manually, but you wouldn't want to connect them permanently, or the router will be in constant boot. You have the case open though, you would know better then anyone else. How does the button work? Can you take a picture?

hondochica

• Level 1 Member
Re: reset button broken - can I short it somehow?? and new 'button'
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »

yeah . .  no . .  I don't have a camera with a micro lens to take a decent close up of the reset button from inside the circuit board . .

I tried using a paper clip to connect to the 'reset' button - but it did nothing after 10 seconds.  maybe I need to try the 30/30/30 process?  Maybe I need a different metal (copper?)

However,  in poking around I found an unidentified "button" on the right side of the router (when looking at the front).  It's not identified in the manual!  It has 2 small arrows on it that form a circle.  It connects to a circuit on the board.  Does anyone know what this button does?  the 'circle' of the two arrows suggests a 'secret' reset or something.  I pressed it for 10 seconds, but it did not change my orange blinking power light

thanks

Kelly

Hard Harry

Re: reset button broken - can I short it somehow?? and new 'button'
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »

However,  in poking around I found an unidentified "button" on the right side of the router (when looking at the front).

That is the WPS button. It's used to initiate the automatic wireless configuration process by the same name. See here for more info.

fzappa

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 05:32:27 AM »

And confirming that you set your laptop to be within the IP range of the router, like 192.168.0.2, and have ethernet cable fron router LAN port, not WAN. Then with one of the common, major browsers (IE, Firefox), try and access 192.168.0.1.
These may seem like overly simple instructions, but making sure.
I'm thinking that, even if you get it working, the damage would make it less than trustworthy.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »

IF he gets it open, maybe he can post a picture of the inside. Ya, I agree, if there's been something loose in side running around, could have touched things and caused an arc or wrong connection.  ::)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.