• April 23, 2024, 06:19:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File permissions messed up after upgrade to 1.04  (Read 9427 times)

DrDigital

• Level 1 Member
File permissions messed up after upgrade to 1.04
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:02 AM »

I noticed that I could no longer access some directories/files from VISTA after upgrading to firmware 1.04.  I couldn't really see a pattern but it looked like the group and everyone permissions were zeroed out.  I fixed the issue by chmod -R 777 * from the root of the mounted file system.  I bring this up because a typical user that hasn't figured out how to access this thing via telnet and who likely isn't Linux savvy will be screwed...

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
Re: File permissions messed up after upgrade to 1.04
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »

please note that you need to have telnet working for this. if i recall, moderators here dont like talking about hacked stuff (though i am sure they love the fonz_plug), they just cant say it  :)

DrDigital

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

I apologize if I have broken a forum rule beit written or unwritten.  I did struggle on how to bring the issue forward and my intent was to identify a potential issue so others can get to a solution sooner should they also suffer it.  If it is unacceptable then please remove it and I will have no hard feelings.

Although I do have a question...is it really a hack if you have made no firmware changes but are only leveraging an undocumented feature?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:42:46 PM »

I apologize if I have broken a forum rule beit written or unwritten.  I did struggle on how to bring the issue forward and my intent was to identify a potential issue so others can get to a solution sooner should they also suffer it.  If it is unacceptable then please remove it and I will have no hard feelings.

Although I do have a question...is it really a hack if you have made no firmware changes but are only leveraging an undocumented feature?

Any modification to the device's functionality that was not included when shipped is considered a hack.  Even if it is as simple as adding a telnet client.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »

This is the true meaning of hack - the addition of capability or useable features - as distinctly different to the media corrupted version which has a negative connotation.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »

based on fordem's found definition, telnet is not a hack  :)

just my opinion :)

DrDigital

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »

Any modification to the device's functionality that was not included when shipped is considered a hack.  Even if it is as simple as adding a telnet client.

Fair enough.  As this is D-Link's forum I shall refrain from this.  That being said, any idea why file permissions went screwy?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »

While telnet may not be a "hack" it was not included with the device as a standard function and is considered a modification meaning D-Link will NOT support it in any way.

Fair enough.  As this is D-Link's forum I shall refrain from this.  That being said, any idea why file permissions went screwy?

We will need to look into the permission issue. Can you tell me what setup you are using? Standard Disks, JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 1. How many users/groups do you have setup. Volume sizes, amount of data on the hard disks etc. Any information can be useful in duplicating your issue.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »

please note, that i had permission issues as well (as i posted previously). i was using 1.04beta (prior to this new release)

from what i can tell, it happened with i had approximately 25mb of space. i had to delete lots of files then chmod via telnet to rectify. now that issue has yet to resurface.

i to would like see what i causing the issue and possible fixes that are not hack related.. though unfortunately i had to use a hack to fix it

cheers

DrDigital

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »

While telnet may not be a "hack" it was not included with the device as a standard function and is considered a modification meaning D-Link will NOT support it in any way.

We will need to look into the permission issue. Can you tell me what setup you are using? Standard Disks, JBOD, Raid 0, Raid 1. How many users/groups do you have setup. Volume sizes, amount of data on the hard disks etc. Any information can be useful in duplicating your issue.

I am using FW 1.04 with 2 WD 500Gb SATA drives in Raid 1 configuration.  I had been doing many different things in an effort to get VISTA to authenticate automatically but I am using 2 groups and 4 users.  At the time I noticed I was unable to access various areas I was repeatedly removing access and changing access to various locations.  Where the permissions were wrong seemed to be random and didn't necessarily line up with where I was associating users to.  Sorry I can't be more specific because I got it working and so all evidence has been removed.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »

That would depend on your interpretation of hack - if you share the media's interpretation, then it isn't.  My interpretation has already been stated, and since this is an added feature, then by my interpretation - it IS a hack.

It should be noted that my interpretation is of little relevance - the decision to provide support rest's entirely with the manufacturer, so it is D-Link's interpretation that matters, and the statement made D-Link Multimedia would represent that - for what it's worth, that statement is typical of the industry position on "user added functionality".

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »

Let me start with the fact that this is a bit o***eneralization and I may have some facts wrong, but I invite corrections.

OK I am here to throw fuel on the fire.  The original definition of a hack is a piece of quickly written and undocumented code written to make something happen now instead of building it right.  You will notice this ties in with fordem's definition nicely.

These hacks were so commonly used to breach security measures that people trying to break this security became known as hackers, the people designing the security measures usually did so on a fat budget (both time and money) and so developed clean and concise code (ideally).  It should also be noted that at this time the hackers were largely a beneficial force to do what's now called “penetration testing”.

As the amount of new code used in exploits dropped and scripts came of age and pre-written tools became more powerful, there were now people accomplishing the exact same thing as before but not with "code".

These people were also less likely to be of professional or academic interest.  The formerly jovial game of testing defenses became a war as more people took to making a profit at.  Many of the older hackers have been quoted as saying they just wanted to see if they could give their entire area code free calls, not because they needed free calls but to see if they could turn that light on from a state away.  Most newer hackers (the big cases mind you) are in it for money (ID theft correlates nicely).

This new generation quickly acquired the ire of the older generation, terms like script-kiddies became popular.  Additionally to separate themselves the following classifications were attempted.

Black/White hats, the color defining the intent of the hacking.

Hackers/Crackers, the same idea as before, to demonize a new word (cracker) in order to take unwanted media attention from the older word.

Needless to say this never worked particularly well.

What does this all have to do with this thread, nothing!  Other than to say that history is fun.
non progredi est regredi

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »

@Fatman - I have only one comment - your definition appears to link hacks to code - which I see as too limiting.

If I were to, just as an example, add the ability to automatically power up my DNS-323 when power is applied - that would be a hack, even though there is no code involved - I already have a scripted solution that powers it down under control of a Windows server, which in turn, powers down under the control of a UPS, so this would merely represent the other half of an unattended power-up/power down solution.

I've done the preliminary design - the back of the old envelope sketch ;) - two transistors, two caps and two resistors - all I need to do is work out the timing constants and toss it together - we could even get fancy and add a switch to enable/disable it.

As an old friend likes to say - solder is my favourite programming language :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:27:50 PM by fordem »