• March 19, 2024, 03:37:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Poll

Would the addition of a board devoted to "General Discussion" improve your experience on the D-Link forum?

Yes
- 9 (69.2%)
No
- 2 (15.4%)
Not Sure
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 26, 2012, 09:21:30 AM

Author Topic: User Poll - Cast Your Vote!  (Read 10531 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
User Poll - Cast Your Vote!
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »

Would the addition of a board devoted to "General Discussion" improve your experience on the D-Link forum?

Cast your vote and post your thoughts and comments.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:42:55 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

fraggboy

• Level 3 Member
Re: User Poll - Cast Your Vote!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »

Having a board dedicated so widely-ranged would be chaotic (IMHO).  What D-Link did to have a separate board per model works well to find that particular information easier, than just combine all of the information in one area and let people 'search' for it.

From what I have found out, there are people who know how to use the search engine well, and others that have a hard time getting the information they need.  It also depends on how well the search engine works.

I could see that a few topics would be OK in a general D-Link forum, but then you would get people posting specific questions where there is a board for that discussion (Maybe they mis-looked that particular board, or didn't scroll all the way down, etc).

I don't think it would add any 'value' or be 'easier to use' if that board was introduced.  Just more police work.

.. Just my $0.02 worth.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »

I would be helpful IMO if there was central FAQ area where some information some of us users have gathered over the years, where others could find general and specific information regarding certain features of Routers, DAPs, DNS and other wireless devices. There are some general information regarding options and settings that seem to fit, say the Routers. Most Routers are the same, only a few things make them different. The web pages are about the same as well. QoS and Gamefuel are about the same and the data used in them works for both. Information about gaming and game consoles, WISH, WOL and such.

I'm sure DNS and other product lines have similarities as well. I would be beneficial if we could have a place to put some of this information and make it more central. We can lead people to this place first when they come to the forums. Then if they still need assistance, then proceed with the troubleshooting process.

I think having an OT thread in each forum would be a good idea, like the one in the DGL-4500 forum. It's a good place to talk about anything while keeping on the ON TOPIC items separate.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:01:32 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

The parent DNS board has a "News" section with an FAQ subheading that can be used for DNS related material. There's a ton of outdated material in there. Will be a challenge to update that board.

I would be helpful IMO if there was central FAQ area where some information some of us users have gathered over the years, where others could find general and specific information regarding certain features of Routers, DAPs, DNS and other wireless devices. There are some general information regarding options and settings that seem to fit, say the Routers. Most Routers are the same, only a few things make them different. The web pages are about the same as well. QoS and Gamefuel are about the same and the data used in them works for both. Information about gaming and game consoles, WISH, WOL and such.

I'm sure DNS and other product lines have similarities as well. I would be beneficial if we could have a place to put some of this information and make it more central. We can lead people to this place first when they come to the forums. Then if they still need assistance, then proceed with the troubleshooting process.

I think having an OT thread in each forum would be a good idea, like the one in the DGL-4500 forum. It's a good place to talk about anything while keeping on the ON TOPIC items separate.

My 2 cents.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »

I re-opened the polls for those who didn't have an opportunity to vote!

Johine77

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »

Yes is right vote