• March 28, 2024, 04:10:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Password Issue  (Read 12393 times)

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
Password Issue
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »

I would like the ability to change the default password. Currently, when I change the default password and save the config via the web interface, neither the original password, or the new password work. I am forced to reset the device to the default config to regain access to the device.

DCS-930L firmware 1.04 and Mac OSX 10.5.8
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:09:11 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-930L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »

I would like the ability to change the default password. Currently, when I change the default password and save the config via the web interface, neither the original password, or the new password work. I am forced to reset the device to the default config to regain access to the device.

DCS-930L firmware 1.04 and Mac OSX 10.5.8

Are you accessing the web interface directly from a local PC on your network or through mydlink?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-930L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »

A local PC (Mac) on my LAN. I haven't enabled d-link, and am not likely to, for security reasons.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Password Issue
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »

Just to make sure we're both on the same page, when you save the password change on the web interface, I presume you navigated to Admin > MAINTENANCE > Admin Password Setting" and pressed "Apply"?

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »

yes

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:21:03 AM »

As a last resort you can try flashing the DCS-930L firmware and settings to the factory default and reconfigure the camera. There's no reason why the password shouldn't properly save. While the camera is powered up, press and hold the reset button on the rear of the camera (with a paperclip) for > 8 seconds.

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »

I've tried updating the firmware to the latest version. I've reset the camera to the factory defaults many times, both before updating the firmware, and afterwards. Neither strategy works.

I propose that you enact another last resort. Tell the software engineers that at least two people are having this problem, have them look into it, and post their results.

I would think that having a product which can't save a change to the default password would be something that your company would want to put at the top of their priority list. If you guys aren't willing to fix such a basic issue, there is no reason for me, or anyone else to ever buy your products.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

First, I don't work for D-Link (I'm a volunteer moderator), but will certainly pass this information to D-Link. Your situation (and the other poster) seem like an isolated incident. I haven't read of any other accounts of this issue occurring.

Is your camera still under warranty (i.e. purchased < 1 year ago?). If so you can most likely request a replacement.

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »

Thank you for passing the information to d-link. I apologize for assuming that since this forum was provided as support by d-link, that it was run by d-link. And yes, the camera is still under warranty. However, since it seems to be an issue with the software code, I can't see how exchanging it would change anything.

Do you know of a way to contact d-link support directly?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »

Thank you for passing the information to d-link. I apologize for assuming that since this forum was provided as support by d-link, that it was run by d-link. And yes, the camera is still under warranty. However, since it seems to be an issue with the software code, I can't see how exchanging it would change anything.

Do you know of a way to contact d-link support directly?

D-Link does run the forum, but they granted moderator rights to a few select long time members (such as myself). Additionally, D-Link staff do visit the forum on a daily basis.

Back to your issue. My thought process was that since this issue is not experienced by all users (i.e. only a small subset), I would suggest that there may be something "uniquely" wrong with your DCS-930L.

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

I suppose that a hardware issue could cause software problems, I don't know. I am not knowledgeable enough in these matters, but it seems unlikely to fix things to me.

More importantly, I was able to get the password to change successfully. I am not sure exactly what the cure was, but I have a couple of ideas, and will do some testing and report back.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »

I'm glad things finally worked themselves out. Please post any remediative steps you recollect that could help other users experiencing the same issue.

stephenchowning

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »

At this point I am not sure exactly what worked. I thought that perhaps choosing a longer password was what did the trick, or that once I clicked apply, I then clicked logout, when I hadn't done this the first time.

But I tested things with a short password, and I was able to successfully make the change. I tested things by not clicking on logout after clicking on apply, and that wasn't what broke it either.

The only possible clue I have to offer is that when I was testing the various possibilities, I found out that my Mac laptop was holding the password somehow. By this I mean that once I submitted the password change, and deleted all cache, cookies, history, etc. from my browser, Safari, I was able to pull up the web interface *without* re-entering the password. So somehow, on my laptop, the password was being stored, even though I was clearing all browser data via the Reset Safari pull down menu. It was only when I rebooted the laptop that the password was cleared. On my iPad, the password cleared without a reboot.

The reason I mention this is that I am surmising that updating the firmware is what fixed things, but that when I tried to change the password after first updating the firmware it didn't take. That somehow the laptop was holding some old info around after I updated the firmware. And that it wasn't until I rebooted the laptop at a later time that things worked.

That is the only thing that I can come up with, as I did try to change the password after updating the firmware, and it did *not* work.