• April 18, 2024, 06:14:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Structured wiring discussion thread  (Read 19730 times)

XS

• Level 4 Member
Re: Structured wiring discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »

Yes I believe so, I think I have two RG6 cable runs to my entertainment center which is where my router is located.  However I will need to install a coax barrel connector in my panel then move my cable to the entertainment.

I have been researching and it sounds like its better to use more CAT5E than RG6 which leads me to believe its better to have longer run of CAT5E from my modem to router than to have a longer run to my modem and short run to my router.  Basically leave the config as is with my modem in my panel and my router at my entertainment center.
I am not to familiar with a switch and how does it work.

I have 2 RG6 runs from my panel to entertainment center and 3 CAT5E runs.  One CAT5E is used for telephone and one RG6 is used for cable TV (Direct TV).

Hard Harry

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Yea, I agree, everything looks good, but if your going for perfect, I would move the 4500 closer to the modem. The ports on those modems have a hard time going over 50feet. Nothing in spec says it should, but that's just my personal experience. Now if that is going to effect your wireless, maybe get a AP to put where the 4500 is now and turn the wireless off on your 4500?

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »

Ok, I don't think the router is fifty feet from cable to modem since my entertainment center is pretty close to it, just one small bathroom in between the two.

Anyway, I think I am going to terminate a male RJ45 connector on the cat5e run in the panel from my PC and just plug it in directly to the data hub, instead of it being terminated at a 110 punch block on the hub and then loops over using a 1ft cat5 cable back into the hub and out to the router.

Well anyway thanks guys!

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
  • Games, nothing else worth while, watch your SIX!
    • Arch Angels Headquarters
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »

first of all, where did you manage to get that image of your network layout, secondly, check this out...

go to pingtest.net and run a test...

mine is...

i recommend using CAT6, since the Augmented versions require one end to be grounded and are really only useful for runs over 10 meters, CAT6 will greatly reduce your performance issues, and you can get it cheap from Newegg

Using your Power-line and Coax converters to network would only be useful on PC's and such since they are rather new to the world of networking above 20Mbps, and a lot of jitter will come from the Power-line because of the dirty electricity (static noise from generators etc) unless you invest in Power-line filters to keep a clean steady flow of electricity you will most certainly see lag from the Power-line adapters.  as for the Coax networking, again that's useful for really really long distances, but for home networking i would suggest it.

Coaxial networking i'd consider a last resort if my CAT6 isn't capable then i'd try the spool of CATV 18 AWG i have in my closet.  but CAT6 goes for darn near forever, especially with home networking.

your data hub, it wouldn't happen to be a standard Switch now would it, cuz if so, i honestly do not know how you are getting connected to the internet simultaneously, i suggest a router without Wifi then go to a switch and then convert a router into an AP, since that is much more cost efficient way to extend your wireless network.

you still awake?

CAT5e as with any CAT5 cables doesn't have the Gigabit capacity, having the bigger piping would allow for easier communication between your devices, i rarely peak past 104Mbps with internet transfers, but between computers on the network, i sometimes hit around 500Mbps.  However i reserve myself for the possibility that CAT# will eventually mean as much as a penny at BestBuy.  since i seen information somewhere saying that CAT5 is faster than CAT6... which i think is complete nonsense... but to each their own opinion, right?

The DGL-4500 ever since the 1.20NA update has had major Wifi issues, using an adapted Wireless router for Wifi only on your network will improve the DGL-4500's performance with your network, i know this from experience, i had shut off the wifi for a week and was up for a week.  when it was handling both LAN and WLAN it would lock up and freeze 2 times a day on a good day.  you jitter and latency issues will almost disappear when you manage these changes.

as for your pinout, be sure you are using a proper pinout by regulation.  i use the T568B Gigabit pinout for my entire network.  When using a pinout, do not put the same cable with different pinouts, such as, a T568A on a patch cable that leads to T568B, you might get some connectivity but there would most definitely be no connection if any connection it would be outrageous in lag, jitter, etc.

CAT6 pinouts for the information pertaining to proper pinouts.

i hope this helps, and i hope your head didn't explode with this bombardment of information, if you have further questions i'm sure many of us here can help, i'm speaking mostly from personal experience, and stuff i've learned over time.  I once was interested in either Coax or Power-line networking, but was turned away from the latencies and jitter of both.

Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G
DIR-625 {converted to Switch/AP for wifi

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »

Kamikazi21424

Yeah I don't want to run cat6 since my home is two stories, no money and no time.  Also I don't think it is really needed just to play XBL.
The data hub is just a termination point, nothing more.  Basically it's a 110 punch block and converts it an RJ45 female connection.

Anyway, I called Cox and they had a tech come over and check the cabling from my house to the street.  There was some suspect connections and the coax was bent pretty good on one end.  I also redid some of the CAT5e termination points in my home that were not in spec.  Since then the speed has been good at peak times and ping/jitter is acceptable.  Off peak times I ping at 27ms with a jitter <5ms.  On peak I get 30-40ms pings and 8-20ms jitter.

I am not sure how reliable speedtest is and wondering if it was a server issue and not on my end or Cox.  The only thing I am wondering now is on peak pingtests, is this normal for cable?

I know Cox at peak times will delay test packets for other higher priority ones and maybe that's the issue with my ping.  Running ping plotter it look like the ping gets high once it leaves Cox network and starts hitting other servers.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

Hard Harry

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »

Yea, I would focus your ping plotter on just 192.168.100.1, since that completely all your equipment. Don't have to worry about consistency from a test site, or Cox's traffic management. Once that has been done for a couple days, with everything good, then start some traceroutes. There is also a add on for Pingplotter that lets you test with TCP packets. I think it's called WinPCap. But use at your own risk. It caused some drivers issues in my rig.

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »

wow this thread is suddenly giving me red flags, saying there is dangerous material on this page.  i had to add this to an exception in my firewall.

WinPCAP did nothing but confuse the crap outa me.
i'm still looking for that program my college had to monitor each computer in the computer labs.
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G

Hard Harry

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »

Yea same here, I think it was the insert from Speedtest.net. Odd. False alarm.

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »

here's my network setup, finally i managed to put a diagram together...

Yellow = Gigabit device
Red = main gateway
Blue = Wireless
Green = 100Mbps max
Black Arrows Signify CAT6

all computers are within the same subnet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:40:29 PM by Kamikazi2142 »
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »

kamikazi,

Oh sorry I forgot you asked, here is the program I used to create my diagram:
http://www.gliffy.com/uses/network-diagram-software/

Once I was done I used Gadwin print screen, (also free) to save it as .jpg.  Otherwise if you save it through gliffy you have to sign up and I did not want to.

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »

its alright i just used Adobe CS5 Fireworks... hows your network treatin you?
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

So far so good, too bad I don't really care how my PC performs I just don't want lag on XBL, lol.
It's almost an obsession :D

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »

check out the setup i have posted over here try setting your network up like that it should alleviate some of the work load and having the Xbox DMZ'd should allow unfettered throughput
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G

XS

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »

The link does not work but I was able to figure out which post you were referring to.  However if I DMZ the xbox then I will not use gamefuel rules since it will not be needed.  Are you saying it is better to DMZ the xbox vs using the XBL sticky?  I have had good success with the XBL sticky.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »

I recommend not using DMZ as you not be able to use any of the 4500 features and should you be in the DMZ, if other people are online at the same time, this might produce unwanted lag effects as others are trying to get bandwidth while your gaming. Gamefuel works for this, and works very well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.
Pages: 1 [2] 3