• April 27, 2024, 11:38:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adding disks do DNS-345  (Read 8386 times)

xcj

• Level 1 Member
Adding disks do DNS-345
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:02:32 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm in the progress of migrating data from the DNS-343 to the DNS-345, i have standard separate volumes for each disk.

I don't have space to store all data outside of both NAS devices so that i can install the disks that were on the 343 on the 345 at once.

When i got the DNS-343 and i was migrating data from my PC to it, i was adding one disk at the time and the DNS-343 firwmare failed me miserably as it decided to format my first disk when i installed the second making me lose a lot of data!

I then searched the forums and learned that i could work around that "BUG" using fun_plug and editing about 4 files in linux, using that workaround i was able to add the disks to the DNS-343 and migrate all my data.

I browsed all the pages of the DNS-345 forum and i didn't find anyone reporting on sucess in adding disks to DNS-345 without losing data on the already existing disks, the wizzard scares me a little since it says that it can format all drives if you add new ones...

I didn't find any other post regarding if the fun_plug workaround works and plays nice with the stock firmware on the DNS-345 as it did on the DNS-343.

Can anyone give-me any pointers on what are my options, did anyone add disk's to the 345 and didn't loose anything on the disks that were already there?

I'm running the latest firmware for the 345.

Thanks in advance!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Adding disks do DNS-345
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:57 AM »

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve here. Are you looking to add a DNS-343 disk with data into your DNS-345? If this is the case, D-Link changed the disk file systems when moving from the legacy DNS-321/323/343 to the DNS-320/320L/325/345, making compatibility problematic.

If you are simply looking to add a new HDD as a standard volume to a DNS-345 containing less than 4 HDDs, you should be able to simply add the HDD and the unit should format the one disk accordingly.

BTW - I realize you have storage constraints, but if your data is truly important to you, make backup to another external storage device.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

xcj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »

No, i'm not taking the disks directly from the 343 to the 345, although i tried :)

I am moving data from the DNS 343 to the 345, and as the disks become free (no data left in them) i will put them on the 345.

My fear is that what happened with the 343 (adding a second disk formated the first!) happens in the 345.
The menu in the 345 says that adding new drives will format the drives, it basicly hints that it will happen.

If you are simply looking to add a new HDD as a standard volume to a DNS-345 containing less than 4 HDDs, you should be able to simply add the HDD and the unit should format the one disk accordingly.

Is that an assumption or a fact? Have you tried that? That is my main concern right now!

Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »

I personally haven't. My DNS-345 only has two HDDs configured as Standard Volumes, both of which I formatted at the same time. I tested formatting/reformatting using different configurations to better understand how the unit behaves, but that's one test I did not try.

If you have two spare HDDs you can test the DNS-345's behavior: remove the current HDDs (and label their slot#); insert one new HDD and format as a standard volume; insert a second HDD and format as a standard volume.

I've read a couple of instances of people losing data on the DNS-320 during HDD additions well over a year ago, but based on the threads, I'm inclined to think the data loss was due to user error rather than some defect in the FW.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:35:55 AM by JavaLawyer »

xcj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »

I will try adding a disk tonight, i this point i can do that, it's a shame that i can't find a "sucess" story anywhere :)

I've read a couple of instances of people losing data on the DNS-320 during HDD additions well over a year ago, but based on the threads, I'm inclined to think the data loss was due to user error rather than some defect in the FW.

It happened to me in the DNS-343 and i can assure you it was a firmware error,a very serious one IMHO.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

I will try adding a disk tonight, i this point i can do that, it's a shame that i can't find a "sucess" story anywhere :)

It happened to me in the DNS-343 and i can assure you it was a firmware error,a very serious one IMHO.

I have no doubt about your DNS-343 experience (especially with older FW).  My point was that the DNS-320 and DNS-345 are in the new ShareCenter family with the updated/new FW / web UI

xcj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:15:45 AM »

Well what happened with the 343 was with the latest non-beta FW (1.5).

Regarding the 345, i tested adding disks ant it behaved correctly, it formated the new disks and didn't touch the existing ones.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:10 AM »

Thank you for posting your findings.